96 Toyota camry wont turn over bcuz of safety device fault

Old 11-03-06, 02:28 PM
96 Toyota camry wont turn over bcuz of safety device fault

Bought a used 96 camry, the guy showed me the switch to use to engage the theft deterrent. This was a year ago. The thing never has seemed to work. Now it works! and the car wont start regardless of position , no click, no turnover at all. switch position does not matter, disconnected the positive lead on the battery overnight hoping for a reset. No joy. Tried the unlock/lock of the doors..nothing. Thier is a little blinking light that blinks on and off right over the fuse box on the left side of the steering wheel and makes a sound that sounds like a turn signal clicking. Any ideal on how to get this thing overridden >Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-06, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
umm, have you tried flicking that switch? Sometimes you have to flick it while trying to turn vehicle on.

Old 11-03-06, 02:46 PM
yes, id idi try that , no joy, the dash board lights go on and off coinciding with the clicking sound, it is strange, all i did was move the car from my drveway into the street and the next day it would not start. thanks

Old 11-03-06, 07:34 PM
It sounds like it's an aftermarket alarm system from back in the day. I haven't seen one of these in a long time. The only thing I could suggest is to trace the wires from that switch and start removing anything that is connected to it (alarm portion). This switch deactivate your ignition system. Thats why there is no clicking or anything.

Some of these alarms will have a little module (little box) with some wires coming out of it. Take all this out. Remeber to disconnect battery first before doing this. These alarm wires are going to be spliced into your factory wire harness underneath your driverside dashboard. Cut the wires and splice factory to factory.

Old 11-04-06, 10:32 AM
thanks for the advice! I went chasing wires and it does go up and in, w/o doing nothing but chase some wires and take the dash apart the blinking has stopped and it still will not start or turn over but the starter chatters when i try to turn it over is this indicative of some thing else?

Old 11-04-06, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Starter chatter usually means bad battery. Try this. Turn the headlights on and then try to start it. If the headlights dim to the point of going out, the battery is kaput.

Old 11-04-06, 04:34 PM
Try to jumpstart it. Maybe that crappy alarm drained the battery.

Old 11-08-06, 09:50 AM
finally got around to removing the aftermarket alarm, everything is good now. thanks for your feedback!

Old 11-08-06, 12:49 PM
Talking

Glad to hear it! Glad we could help!