My abs brake light stays on in the dash.

Old 11-05-06, 12:16 PM
My abs brake light stays on in the dash.

I have a 1997 nissan maxima. The abs brake light stays on in the dash. If someone can help it would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-06, 04:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That light is indicating a ABS malfunction. You need to get it checked out. Most likely a bad sensor in one of the wheels.

Old 11-05-06, 11:39 PM
Get the codes pulled

I had that type of problem with a '97 Mazda but mine would come on for no reason, it would clear after the car was off most of the time and it would never store any relevant code.

It disappeared when I replaced the batt that was only beginning to show as a little weak under load. But my lite was intermitant and has happened to others with my make and model and a weakening batt. An overnite trickle charge would've worked for me.

I would go to whoever is around you (Autozone, Pep boys,etc.) that can read whatever code is stored as soon as you can, if you don't have a reader. '97 was an OBDII year so it won't be too hard for 'them' to come up with a little more than a simple expensive response in trying to get the job.

You could've locked a wheel up with a bad sensor or you could have very contaminated (old/worn-out) fluid, or a stuck modulator or solenoid, or any other number of things that won't be good to find out about when you need the ABS the most.

Search this Thread