question about a blown head gasket?

Old 11-05-06, 04:18 PM
question about a blown head gasket?

I am not looking to fix this my mini van has 204,000 miles on it so it has done its job. We are looking for a new car as of now but need this car until we find one --discovered the gasket problem yesterday. For school pick ups and around the town how long can I expect to get out of it (a day, a week, a month?).

Here are the current symptoms. A hose has a coolant leak and the auto shop say the radiator is clogged as well as the blown gasket. It runs now fairly normal and the engine smokes at times from over heat (I just park and sit for a few minutes and the temps comes right down though).

The exhaust is still normal (no white smoke).

What signs am I looking for to stop driving? (if any) and when it dies what should I expect if it happens while driving? (will I be able to coast to a shoulder or will is just stop?)

THanks -- I appreciate any and all input.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-06, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ooh..hmmm. a blown head gasket spews antifreeze into the cylinders which will cause overheating and eventually, engine failure. If you fix the radiator problem, and the car doesn't really overheat, you could probably drive it for sometime. It's when the engine overheats when damage is being done.
Who told you that the head gasket was blown? Did they find antifreeze in the oil?

Old 11-05-06, 04:47 PM
Auto shop says it blown and the radiator needs to be replace?

really not looking at repairing because of the # of miles. Can you tell me what the car will do when the end is near?

Old 11-05-06, 05:29 PM
nap
What signs am I looking for to stop driving? (if any) and when it dies what should I expect if it happens while driving? (will I be able to coast to a shoulder or will is just stop?)

when it doesn;t make anymore noise, it died. You are already driving on borrowed time so I would drive it until it just doesn;t run anymore. Just be prepared to be late to something.

Time expectations? I wouldn't expect anymore than what you already have recieved. Don;t be surprised if it doesn;t start in the morning. Accept it as a gift if it does.

To experience what will happen when it dies (if it does so while actually driving down the road) find a totally empty road and simply turn off the engine while driving 25 or so. Be sure to NOT turn off the key far enough so the steering locks. You will have a limited amount of coasting, very little use of the power brakes ( a couple of applications) but would still maintian non power brakes and you will lose all power assist to the steering.

power brakes and power steering are much harder to use than non-power steering and brakes when you lose the power assist. Be prepared.

Old 11-05-06, 08:31 PM
regardles of the miles if it is just the radiator and you fix that you have a $1000 vehicle (haven't seen it just guessing I assume its pretty rough and with no A/C) If you park it now and just say it need work you have a $500 vehicle. If you drive it to the end you might get a salvage yard to give you $50-$100 for it. I would at least get a second opinion to see if the head gasket is indeed blown you might be saprised to see you have something worth fixing so you can sell it. Other then that all your symptoms are there. It might start knocking and last through the winter or it might be locked up in the morning with no further warning its realy hard to say.