Possible Wheel Bearing??

Old 11-05-06, 10:41 PM
Possible Wheel Bearing??

Hey everybody ... I talked with a couple buddies of mine and they said i might need to replace a wheel bearing ... so i took my right rear tire off, dismantled everything, spun the hub and sure enough my dad said it was the faulty wheel bearing that was making a terrible "roaring" noise ... any advice on how to replace one and what the cost may be? Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Assuming you have a front wheel drive car, I think the bearing needs to be pressed in. My wife used to have an 86 olds and I found it cheaper to go to the junk yard and replace the whole hub. A machine shop should be able to give you a price on repairing yours.

Old 11-06-06, 08:59 AM
You are saposed to press those in but I never have had a press and machine shops are close when I have done mine. It takes a delicate hand but it can be done without pressing it in. A bearing driver or the corect size socket are needed though. Other then that its easy. Just don't over tighten it or it won't last and under tightening is even worse.

Old 11-06-06, 12:14 PM
Make?... Model?... Year?

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=115340

Old 11-06-06, 10:56 PM
I know some shops may charge a fixed fee for labor or some charge by the hour..like $75, depending on how tough it is to press in. Brake shops can usually do this type of work, try getting a service manual and save some money! What is the vehicles make, model and year?

Toki