1990 Ford Tempo

Old 11-06-06, 02:57 PM
Unhappy 1990 Ford Tempo

Okay, here's my problem. My car has started smoking. It is white smoke and has been doing this for a few weeks. I do think it has an oil leak or something somewhere as I have had to continually put oil in. I have made sure to keep up on oil checks but it has gotten considerably worse in the last couple of days, so bad that it is coming through the vents in my car when I drive, oy vey. Secondly, as the smoking has gotten worse my car has started stalling all the time. It takes me at least five start ups just to back up and get out of my parking spot because it stalls whenever I turn the wheel. When I get on the road it smokes like crazy and usually stalls when I have to stop at a light. Sometimes it takes more than once to get it to start back up and I have to right away start moving or it will stall again as it sits. I don't know what to do about all this, I am going to try and get it to a mechanic on Thursday if it will last me until then, but it's very embarrasing and worrisome and anything to at least stop the smoke would help. THANKS!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 03:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
White smoke out the tail pipe usually means something engine internal, either valve stem seal, fuel injectors, PCV valve, or ruined engine block and/or piston. I would change out the PCV valve first seeing it's the cheapest part.

Old 11-06-06, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked your coolant level? Often white smoke is an indicator of moisture in the combustion chamber - like a bad head gasket or worse.

Old 11-06-06, 03:51 PM
Tailpipe

It's not white smoke from the tail pipe it's from under the hood of the engine.

Old 11-06-06, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may need to clean the engine to find the source of the leak[s]

Search this Thread