Dodge 4x4 Axle Shaft Seal

Old 11-06-06, 04:45 PM
Question Dodge 4x4 Axle Shaft Seal

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 5.9 liter. I replaced the axle shaft U-joints and I think that I damaged the seal. I did the joints about a month ago and I still have to add lube every week or so. Is this a big job? The manual I have doesn't explain how to replace the seal. I was told by the local dealer that it was a "huge job".

Last edited by Aldug; 11-06-06 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 05:09 PM
Which seal are you talking about? The rear differental front pinion seal or rear trans tailshaft seal? Are we talking about front axle or rear axle?, your truck is 1500 or 2500?.

Old 11-06-06, 05:54 PM
I'm talking about the front axle shaft seal, in the front differential. It's a 1500 Ram (1/2 ton).

Old 11-07-06, 02:43 AM
yep, it's big job alright, you also need special tools for removing and installing new seals, basically all the guts inside the diff housing must come out, then after all seal and gears goes back in, you'll need to adjust the pinion backlash and gear tooth patern which also need some special tools too.

Old 11-07-06, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I thought that I'd have to get to it from inside the housing. The good thing is that it seems to be loosing less lube now. I'll have to keep the level checked until I can get it in and get it repaired. Thanks for the help.