Bad Alignment from Sears

Old 11-06-06, 09:14 PM
Post Bad Alignment from Sears

Hi,

I went to Sears Auto Center to get my alignment checked and they said that the alignment was off and that one of the tires that I have is defective and separating, so I got the alignment done. I went to the tire shop and wanted mytire replaced since I just got it about 5k miles ago and they said that nothing is wrong with the tire and that the alignment is off. So I go back to Sears and a different Tech says that the tire is fine and that the alignment was done wrong, so they did it over for free and now the alignment still seems off. I called them again to complain and the manager says "Just bring it back in and they will gladly do it over". Should I just go some where else?? I am hesitant because I don't want to pay twice for my alignment...Suggestions.....

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 09:34 PM
Sears has a pretty good reputation; I would be very surprised if they charged you again unless they found that to get the alignment truly correct they have to shim it. Most of the time your $50 or even $100 alignment will just set tow and maybe camber, but even setting camber can be a real job on some cars. If they can't get it to drive right that way then depending on the vehicle they might have to do some drilling and insert some different shims and so forth. If for some reason your caster or camber has gone off far enough to need this it is usually a sign of something worse, like a bent frame, control arm, spindle... Possibly caused by an accident or a very bad pothole or the like. It sounds like you should take it back and don't let them charge you unless they find a bigger problem, problem there is it sounds like two of their techs don't know what they're doing I wonder how many more they have. Is there another Sears close by? If not call to talk to the manager and find out when one of their better techs is going to be able to work on because you have already trained enough techs on your car. Make them give you your money back or get it right.

Old 11-07-06, 03:04 AM
I agree with Stroker on everything he said but one " Sears has a pretty good reputation" thing, I haven't figure it out which one yet.

Anyway, bring it back as suggested and give them another chance to correct it but I wouldn't pay for any additional charge, they messed it up from the beginning and IF their reputation is high, they'll do it right w/o charging any, heck.. they should give you a free oil change too for all the trouble and time that run you around.

Old 11-07-06, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
I agree - take it back and let them get it right at no charge to you. We might get some disagreement here over whether Sears has a good reputation, but shouldn't get much over the concept that they want to have a good reputation and fixing this would be part of that.

Old 11-07-06, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replys guys! When I mentioned paying twice for the alignment, I meant paying someone else who will get the job done right. Sears won't charge me again because the work is under warranty, but they can't seem to get it right. I guess from what your suggesting, I'll give them another try and go from there and if they still don't get it right, What then??

sweetboy

Old 11-07-06, 09:09 AM
I'd ask them put it in writting that if they are unable to correct it this time, I'll bring mine to other place (dealer) and have it done and they/Sears will pay for that. But of-course if that were me.