Head Gasket

Old 11-12-06, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket

Would you guys\girls use a rv gasket maker with a headgasket, or just the gasket

Old 11-12-06, 10:23 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
absolutely not on the RTV sealant.

It is not designed for this type of application.

If you want to use something, copper spray-a-gasket is designed for this purpose. It will aslo add some adhesive to assist in maintaining gasket position when installing if needed.

I prefer to install dry unless the manufacturer specifically recommends an additional sealant.

remember; cleanliness is next to godliness. To assure a no-leak install the surfaces should be prepped very well. Absolutely no old gsket left over. You should also check the head and block with a straight edge to be sure no warpage is present.

It doesn;t do any good to replace a blown head gasket on a head that is warped.

Old 11-12-06, 10:42 PM
ok thanks, both the head and block are brand new, i dont see any thing in my service manual for my grand am about useing any sealant, but i hear its better to use one.
well i found this on the internet:
http://permatex.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/42287/80697

its the same as rv copper sealant, i been useing for all my seals

Old 11-13-06, 11:18 PM
O
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
Would you guys\girls use a rv gasket maker with a headgasket, or just the gasket
I always use headgaskets with sealent built in like Fel-pro.

Old 11-14-06, 11:47 AM
many books i have used say to spray the gasket with silver/aluminum paint. has always worked for me...

Old 11-14-06, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by 95sse
many books i have used say to spray the gasket with silver/aluminum paint. has always worked for me...
are you talking about just reg old silver/aluminum paint you paint anywhere and you wait for the paint to dry

Old 11-14-06, 08:17 PM
nap
Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
well i found this on the internet:
http://permatex.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/42287/80697

its the same as rv copper sealant, i been useing for all my seals
That is exactly what I was speaking of.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean with "rv copper sealant"

Do you actually mean "RTV"?

If so, the RTV stuff is intended where a full bodied product is needed to fill a gap and actually as alternative to a gasket in many situaions.. Spray a gasket is intended where a very thin layer is desired. The make up of the 2 is very different.

The bottom line is; if you are going to use a gasket, let the gasket do what it was designed to do.

Old 11-14-06, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by nap
The bottom line is; if you are going to use a gasket, let the gasket do what it was designed to do.
im going to use a gasket but i was just woundering if it was nessaly to use a sealant with it, because the service manual says to.

Old 11-15-06, 04:21 PM
nap
im going to use a gasket but i was just woundering if it was nessaly to use a sealant with it, because the service manual says to.

that is the type of thing I was speaking of when I spoke of if it was recommended or required. If you use O.E.M. gaskets, I would follow those directiond to the T. If you use some other manufacturers gasket, i would tend to follow that manufacturers recommndations rather that O.E.M. directions.

Old 11-15-06, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by nap

that is the type of thing I was speaking of when I spoke of if it was recommended or required. If you use O.E.M. gaskets, I would follow those directiond to the T. If you use some other manufacturers gasket, i would tend to follow that manufacturers recommndations rather that O.E.M. directions.

Ok Thank You

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: