Tear in the flex pipe...

Old 11-14-06, 10:08 AM
Tear in the flex pipe...

Hello,

I have a tear in my flex pipe and I am wondering if there is a cheap way of fixing this on my own? I have heard of muffler tape... does this work?

I really don't have the money to fix it and most places are saying that you need to replace the whole exhaust. I know that this is not true, but still I would like to solve this problem very cheaply if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 10:30 AM
What kind of car ?? If it's a Toyota it's a common failure and replacement is probably your only option.

Old 11-14-06, 10:33 AM
HI, it's a Nissan Pathfinder. Is there no way to patch the tear?

Thanks again!

Old 11-14-06, 10:46 AM
You could replace the flex joint. Flanged ends would make it easy. If it's welded onto the adjoining pipe, You may be able to perform some kind of surgery to remove it and get a replacement part from JC Whitney.

Old 11-14-06, 10:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Muffler tape might work but I suspect the metal would need to be good and clean for it to adhere well. Personally I think it's more gimmick and not a reliable fix.

You should be able to replace just the flex pipe [and clamps] if the rest of the exhaust is in good shape. Flex pipe can be purchased at most auto parts stores - you'll need to know the diameter and length.

Old 11-14-06, 02:19 PM
If it's coming off the exaust manifold and snaking down the engine bay to the main exaust I doubt regular flex will work.

You may be able to buy some time by cleaning it good and trying JB Weld.

Old 11-14-06, 02:55 PM
It's a tear in the flex pipe itself. It looks like there is a rip in the non-metal part. It looks like small wicker pieces tied together with a rip in it.

Is it possible to put a cover over it to deaden the sound?

Old 11-14-06, 03:55 PM
The wicker part you refer to is the braided armor that's over the flex pipe itself. This braid is made of stainless steel. The flex pipe looks like bellows.

Is the flex coupling bolted onto the exhaust system with flanged ends?

Old 11-14-06, 04:53 PM
Thumbs up

If it is just a tear try using some HIGH TEMP silicone sealent/gasket maker (it's RED in color). let it cure to a "musshy" consistancy, more than skinned over but not fully cured. Then place a clamp over it and tighten it but don't over tighten or you'll displace the silicone too much. The clamps are about 4in long and come in various diameters try to match the diameters as best you can better it is slightly too small. Stay away from the JB WELD it cannot take the high temp of the exhaust. I know this from expierience! Total cost 12 bucks american, life expectancy 3-6 months.

Old 11-14-06, 04:58 PM
Also... try Auto parts warehouse for the flex pipe. I used them for that exact part about 4 mos ago. Great price and as I remember FREE shipping!!! Good Luck.

Old 11-15-06, 05:37 AM
Unfortunately, I am not sure what Flanged ends are....

I think that I will try moffittchcg7 suggestion. Can I get the silicone sealent/gasket maker from any auto parts store?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 11-15-06, 05:40 AM
Flanged means they bolt on to the next section of pipe, as opposed to clamped on or welded on. The connections could be undone with a wrench.

Old 11-15-06, 06:00 AM
Oh, I see. Then they are welded on. Shoot!

Old 11-15-06, 06:53 AM
Yeah, you can get the high temp silicone at any auto parts store.