2000 Dodge Stratus: oil leak around spark plugs

Old 11-14-06, 04:31 PM
2000 Dodge Stratus: oil leak around spark plugs

Oil from the top of the head cover that appears to be coming in those 'holes' where the spark plugs are buried (wonderful design) is appearing. At first, I though it was just spilled oil from a oil change, but I took a rag and cleaned the puddled oil and more has replaced what was there. The right plug opening (facing the vehicle) has a 'pool' of oil where I can't even see the top of the plug.
Not sure of mileage (wifes' car), but I would guess around 60k.

Any ideas since this design is totally foreign to me (located on top of the valve cover, not on the side of the block)?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably a bad valve cover gasket. This requires taking the valve cover off and cleaning the old gasket off real good. If you want to do this yourself, then get yourself a Haynes or a Chiltons repair manual for this vehicle. It's not a extremely difficult job.

Old 11-14-06, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by videobruce
Oil from the top of the head cover that appears to be coming in those 'holes' where the spark plugs are buried (wonderful design) is appearing. At first, I though it was just spilled oil from a oil change, but I took a rag and cleaned the puddled oil and more has replaced what was there. The right plug opening (facing the vehicle) has a 'pool' of oil where I can't even see the top of the plug.

Any ideas since this design is totally foreign to me (located on top of the valve cover, not on the side of the block)?
Spark plug seal is leaking oil thru, you'll need valve cover gasket and spark plug seals, it's an easy job and with a basic tool set, you can do it at home, if you are getting valve cover gasket, make sure the plug seals come with it, depending where you get parts from, some come with and some w/o.

Old 11-14-06, 06:02 PM
There are seals for the plugs??
Never had oil leak from plugs especially considering these plugs are up top, not on the side of the block.

New guy; your quote didn't work...........

Old 11-14-06, 06:08 PM
Valve cover is on TOP of the engine, not on the side.

Old 11-14-06, 06:23 PM
I was referring to the location of the plugs.

Old 11-14-06, 06:35 PM
If you have the 2.4L, the 4 plugs are directly on top unless the motors are different from 00-01. My wife has a 01 Stratus 4cyl.

Disregard this message.

Old 11-15-06, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by videobruce
There are seals for the plugs??
Never had oil leak from plugs especially considering these plugs are up top, not on the side of the block.

New guy; your quote didn't work...........
Take a closer look, the spark plug don't have seal for itself, but there are seal that goes around the spark plug tube(plug seal), when those seals leaking, oil will get to the plug hole from the top not from the bottom of the plug.

Old 11-15-06, 05:39 AM
Yes, I understand where the plugs are located. I will look closer at this 'tube' where the plugs are buried.
This is a really strange design. Are there any/many other motors with this un-conventional design? And the purpose of this oddball setup is............??

Old 11-15-06, 03:04 PM
I've seen tons of motors like this. Most inline 4 cylinders have there spark plugs like this.

Old 11-16-06, 05:18 AM
Not being a mechnic and haven't looked at anything newer than this 2000, I haven't.
Complete news to me.

Don't like new cars, can't work on them and this is a perfect example.

Old 01-02-10, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I have the same problem and my car is a 2004 Strattus. Need a quote