Rattle

Old 11-14-06, 09:29 PM
Rattle

Ok i noticed this rattle today in my van sounds like it is coming from\by the from driveshaft. it sounds like rocks rolling around in a pipe. it only does it when going faster then 20mph, doesnt get louder or quiter at different speeds, i took the front drive shaft off and it quit, i put it on my other astro and it didnt do it.

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 03:46 AM
Stones in the hubcaps??? The drive shaft is sealed, that could not be it, but it could be a bad U-joint.

Old 11-15-06, 03:50 AM
Group Moderator
Bad u-joint was the first thing I thought of too, followed by a wheel bearing which is often described as gravel in a coffee can, but you made the sound go away so not likely a wheel bearing.

Old 11-15-06, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Just Bill
Stones in the hubcaps??? The drive shaft is sealed, that could not be it, but it could be a bad U-joint.

no hubcaps soild rims, i dont know if the u joint are replaceable on the front

Old 11-15-06, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Bad u-joint was the first thing I thought of too, followed by a wheel bearing which is often described as gravel in a coffee can, but you made the sound go away so not likely a wheel bearing.
how hard is it to replace a u joint, i asked around and they said there not replaceable because they dont wear old, so im going to try and find a front driveshaft and see if the noise stop. it seems to be getting louder and louder.

Old 11-15-06, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Some info for you, astro:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/12/c4/18/0900823d8012c418.jsp

Old 11-15-06, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Some info for you, astro:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/12/c4/18/0900823d8012c418.jsp
that doesn't show anything on the front drive shaft, the front is alot different then the back, the front has 3 joints the front joint is two, but cant be taken apart, but the back one can.

thanks

Old 11-15-06, 03:30 PM
You are shotgunning the problem, which can eat up lots of $$$$$ and still not fix the problem. Take it someone that understands such things and be done with it.

Old 11-15-06, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Just Bill
You are shotgunning the problem, which can eat up lots of $$$$$ and still not fix the problem. Take it someone that understands such things and be done with it.

i took it to a chevy dealer and they said its rock rolling arond in something, thats all they said because they want 800 for checking it out
to me it sounds like its coming found the transfer case, i had the camrea right next to it
heres a audio file of it.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=S1X3kB0y11R

Last edited by chevyastro4x4; 11-16-06 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 10:34 AM
to me it sounds like its coming found the transfer case, i had the camrea right next to it
heres a audio file of it.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=S1X3kB0y11R

Old 11-16-06, 05:32 PM
Great sound reproduction for the noise !

At first I thought it sounded like your catalytic converter breaking up and riffleing around the inside of it.

Then I thought it sounded like a bad front CV joint.

But it sounded as thou it increased with engine speed and not the axle speed which gives creedence to my catalytic converter theroy but just as you were decellerating the noise was drowned out by a passing car. So it was hard to tell.

Does it do it at at stop while power braking ?
If it does, it's not a drive train problem.
If it doesn't put the car up on all 4's, put in drive and have some brave soul lay down NEXT to the car ( not under ) and listen, run it up to about 45 mph then remember to use the brake before putting it back in park !

I think it's your cat breaking up.
Just my theory.

Old 11-16-06, 07:28 PM
nap
When I first listened to it the first thing I though of was a CV joint. The I got thinking since it is 4 wheel drive and you were at the transfer case I realized what it (in my mind anyway) what it probably is

the drive chain inside the transfer case. It is worn and sloppy and slapping.

Nice job on the audio. Great idea.

Old 11-16-06, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mackey
Great sound reproduction for the noise !

At first I thought it sounded like your catalytic converter breaking up and riffleing around the inside of it.

Then I thought it sounded like a bad front CV joint.

But it sounded as thou it increased with engine speed and not the axle speed which gives creedence to my catalytic converter theroy but just as you were decellerating the noise was drowned out by a passing car. So it was hard to tell.

Does it do it at at stop while power braking ?
If it does, it's not a drive train problem.
If it doesn't put the car up on all 4's, put in drive and have some brave soul lay down NEXT to the car ( not under ) and listen, run it up to about 45 mph then remember to use the brake before putting it back in park !

I think it's your cat breaking up.
Just my theory.
good thery but i dont have a cat, just staight pipe. it really sounds like its coming from the transfer case but it also sounds like its coming from the front, when i turn really sharp there like a sound of a gear missing

Old 11-16-06, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by nap
When I first listened to it the first thing I though of was a CV joint. The I got thinking since it is 4 wheel drive and you were at the transfer case I realized what it (in my mind anyway) what it probably is

the drive chain inside the transfer case. It is worn and sloppy and slapping.

Nice job on the audio. Great idea.
ya thats what im thinking it is two, the person that owned it before me never changed the oil once in the case or front and rear diff

im going to try and put the mic at different spots, up by each cv joints, front diff, drive shaft, and see where each spot is the loudest, im going to have to plug one of my exhaust pipes so that not so loud

Old 11-17-06, 06:33 PM
Wink

hmmm does that one have a chain drive?? to new??? last one a had that slipped it seemed like the truck was beating itself to death...heheha not rocks rolling around.. i guess you checked the fluid in the transfer case right??? last thing i did was blow up a front locking hub,, man that made a noise...ohh iam thinking of the really old ones sorry the old full time units...

Old 11-17-06, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by dingodogathome
hmmm does that one have a chain drive?? to new??? last one a had that slipped it seemed like the truck was beating itself to death...heheha not rocks rolling around.. i guess you checked the fluid in the transfer case right??? last thing i did was blow up a front locking hub,, man that made a noise...ohh iam thinking of the really old ones sorry the old full time units...
ya its chain drivenm, full time, the sound is coming from the transfer case, i guess i'll have to drive it till the chain goes because i dont have 1500 for a new one