Truck starts but won't stay running....

Old 11-15-06, 02:13 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Truck starts but won't stay running....

My 1995 Ford Ranger manual trans, 4WD 4.0 L will start but stalls in about 5 seconds. It will do this as long as I'm willing to keep turning it over. I installed a new fuel filter but it didn't help. Any ideas before I take it to the Ford Dealer? TIA Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Will it stall while on the gas?

It could be a few things.

Throttle Position Sensor

Fuel pump

Clogged fuel injector

Spark timing

Air Filter

Old 11-15-06, 04:15 PM
T
Thanks for the reply HotinOKC. It won't run even if I give it gas. If it was a clogged injector wouldn't it just skip? I put in a new air filter also. I also tried to run it with no air filter. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key to run position. It ran fine a week ago. Got in it this past weekend I it did this.

Old 11-15-06, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A clogged fuel injector can and most likely will stall a vehicle. I would try and run some injector cleaner through the tank and see if that helps at all. Start with the injector cleaner, then if that has no results, replace your throttle position sensor.

Also, check all your hose (vacuum) for cracks, leaks, missing, etc.

Also, see if autozone will check your timing as well.

Old 11-15-06, 06:46 PM
W
Ran into a similar problem which turned out to be "brain damage" (ECU)...........Your 4.0 Ranger has six injectors so ONE failure would not cause a stall.......That being said you'll need to check fuel pressure first. Basic spark second......Injector pulse .........If you lose spark AND injector pulse, you're probably gonna need a good scanner to watch sensor voltages to see what drops out when.......
Incidently.......Is there a Check Engine light on?

Old 11-15-06, 07:18 PM
D
[QUOTE=TimH]My 1995 Ford Ranger manual trans, 4WD 4.0 L will start but stalls in about 5 seconds. It will do this as long as I'm willing to keep turning it over. I installed a new fuel filter but it didn't help. Any ideas before I take it to the Ford Dealer? TIA Tim[/QUOTE

Sounds to me like a fuel pump malfunction... And they can be a pain in the butt if your doing it yourself. Just make sure that you have plenty of room to work under the vehicle and be sure that gas tank is as empty as you can get it. And when you go to install the new pump be sure everthing is put back to its original place otherwise your fuel gauge will give you innacurate readings.

Now also I am thinking it could be the distributor.... or something along that line...

Keep me posted what the Ford dealership comes up with....

Old 11-16-06, 06:40 AM
T
Thankss for the replies.

If its a fuel pump (or other real involved repair ) the dealer can do it. Dropping a fuel tank is too hard to do in my small garage. I'll check the vacum lines and other wires. I gave a quick look last night and I saw some gnaw marks on some hoses. Mr. Chimpmuck seems to have found a winter home.