Plenium Explosion

Old 11-16-06, 05:31 AM
Plenium Explosion

I have a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville with 90,000 miles on it. Yesterday when I went to start it, there was (what sounded like a backfire) loud explosion under the hood. The neighbors though someone shot a gun. I did see a flash and a lot of smoke. When I opened the hood, the plastic cover over the engine was destroyed along with some other plastic parts. Our garage man towed it to his garage. He told me that the plenium exploded but before he'll fix it he wants to find out why it happened because he never saw this before.
Has anyone here ever heard of that happening? Will it be expensive to have fixed our shall I start looking for another car?
Thanks.
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-06, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a gas leak plus old spark plug wire sparking. First thing would be to locate the leak. Second is to see how much the parts and labor are, Then you can make a decision.

Old 11-16-06, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have heard of this. If there is a fuel leak, it can cause the fumes to be ignited within the intake manifold and sometimes exploding out the throttle body. This happens alot with people using nitrous. Also, I've seen spark plugs shoot up through hood of the car. I would definetly look for a fuel leak like goldstar said. A leaking fuel rail or injector will cause havoc.

Regarding price, it's a tough one, price all the parts that need replacing, and figure $35-55/hr for a mechanic to fix.