A Loud Whinning sound

Old 11-16-06, 09:43 PM
Question A Loud Whinning sound

I wouldnt really say it is a loud whinning sound coming from the engine. But thats all i can think of to explain it as of now. Its coming from the engine and doesnt start until I am over 10mph, But after i hit that 11 it is on constant all the way up to 65. What can i do to fix this? Or what is it?

1992 Ford Explorer

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-06, 04:49 AM
Just recently my wifes car (Chev Cavalier) was making a loud whining noise....a local repair shop she took it to diagnosed the problem as defective cam bearings. Once I got home, checked it out and found it was the alternator. Replaced the alt and all is quiet again. (LOL - occasionally/mostly still has a loud whine but it stops once she exits the car!)

Old 11-17-06, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Alternator would be a good place to start. Also any of the other accessories. You can try taking tension off the serpentine belt and see if any of the accessories don't spin freely. Also check the tensioner and idler pulleys. How many miles on the car?

Old 11-17-06, 07:36 AM
If you rev up the engine with the hood up while you're standing in front of the car can you hear it? If so, you can then begin to isolate the noise - won't go into how unless you ask. But, if you can't hear the noise then, I'd suspect it's not engine related, but rather driving related, i.e., wheels, tires, drivetrain.