transfer case

Old 11-17-06, 02:34 PM
transfer case

88 chev blazer front wheels wont lock in to 4 wheel drive...can hear the transmission like it was in but the front wheels arent......so is the transfercase repairable or do i need to replace the whole thing

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-06, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Jack up the front end and see if the front driveshaft turns when you roll the wheels.

Old 11-18-06, 08:03 AM
transfer case

10 4 drive shaft will turn

Old 11-18-06, 09:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it is in the transfer case

If your lucky it might just be a linkage issue. I'm sure transfer cases can be repaired but I don't know how. Probably not cheap to replace or repair

Old 11-20-06, 03:33 PM
update transfer case

well seems as though the transfer case is working.....when put in 4 wheel the front drive axle does turn...the problem is further up front with the differentil carrier.....maybe just a cable.......headed to the shop tommorow.....

Old 11-20-06, 06:29 PM
Is this a S10 or Full Size Blazer?
IF an S10 (like mine) , the transfer case is shifted manually, but the front axle is actuated by vacuum. At least on my 1989 it is. (I think they switched to electric in 90 or 91). Anyway, there are three small vacuum hoses near the trans linkage. One goes to the front axle. One on the hoses may be cut or whatever. There is also a "T" connector (mine is located between the trnfr case and floorboard) that might be unhooked. My 3 hose switch, located near the shift linkage, wasn't working. Replaced it and the little switch that screws into the front axle housing and it works fine again.
I'll try and put up photo .

Old 11-20-06, 10:52 PM
4wd

if this is an s-10 like the one gentlemen said check to see if you getting vacuum at the switch on top of your transfer case these are know for going bad find your vacuum actuator usually under the battery, pull the hose off and shift into 4wd start it up and check for vacuum, pull the hose out from underneath so you can put the battery back into start it, if you have vacuum get a vacuum pump if you dont have on go to advance auto and rent on and put vacuum on the actuator itself if it will hold vacuum remove the cable from the end of the actuator and see if you can manually pull it into 4wd, these cables brake and rust up and also battery acid will leak on them sometimes causing them to be ineffective,

Old 11-21-06, 12:03 PM
thanks for all the help....took it to the shop ...it is in fact the vacuum actuater.....200.00 bucks installed....i let them do it......