68 cougar winter storage

Old 11-17-06, 06:50 PM
Cool 68 cougar winter storage

i have a 68 cougar to be stored for the winter. i have already put fuel stablizer in the gas and fogging oil in the carb.. is there anything else i should do.
does it neeed to be fired up and let idle ocassionaly during the storage months. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-06, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How long is it going into storage? If it's just the 3 months or so for winter time, then you didn't need the sta-bil. Sta-bil is good for fuel that is going to be stored more then 6 months. Though adding this will not do any harm.

Looks like you did the good thing and sprayed fogging oil into carb. I would would put a light coat of WD40 or some type of oil on the hoses to prevent cracking if being stored for a long time.

Also, raise the car off the wheels to prevent flat spots.

Old 11-17-06, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would also change the oil and oil filter to prevent suspended dirt etc. from settling over the winter. Make certain the antifreeze can handle any cold weather, and disconnect the battery. I would remove the battery and put it in a warmer place where I could put a charger on it or a trickle charger to keep it up.

Old 11-18-06, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
And I would skip starting it unless you are going to actually drive it around and get it up to operating temperature for 30 minutes or so.