Key stuck in the Ignition Switch

Old 11-18-06, 05:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Key stuck in the Ignition Switch

Hi:
Toyota Corolla '99, a Key stuck in the Ignition Switch, that happened 'three times' for the past years. One of occurrences was just yesterday.

Each time, a Key got out/took off after applying back and forth, 'P/Park' to 'D/Drive' on Automatic Transmission.

There are three different keys, one is an original came with a Car, two are 'copies' made by a professional key maker.

Except this problem, above, '99 Corolla runs GREAT.

What causes this problem?
Ignition Switch or Transmission problem?

Thanks always, ...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-06, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
It is probably the transmission linkage out of adjustment. When I first got my jeep they recalled the brake rotors and transmission cable. When I got back from the dealer the key wouldn't remove because the shift lever wouldn't go far enough into park

Since the dealer did all the work on this, I'm not sure how you adjust the cable but hopefully inspecting it will show you how. Of course you could wait for someone with more brains than me to post an answer

Old 11-18-06, 05:51 AM
Red face

Hi:
Thanks for the quick response.

>>> It is probably the transmission linkage out of adjustment <<<

--- I DO suspect something related transmission. This Corolla is a kind of 'back-up' car due to a long-distance drive. However, it scared me to death. Luckily, this happened right in front of the house, ... each time.

I just wonder how much would it cost this repair, ... transmission linkage adjustment?
If not more than $300.00, it's better to fix before the things getting awful, ... like in the darkness of 70 miles away from home. Because, some areas where I travel is NOT quite safe.

Thanks again.

Old 11-18-06, 06:42 AM
Have same problem with 2003 Monte Carlo. It's problem is with the shifter not quite moving to right place when placed in park to cause the key locking solenoid to release the key. But the problem has quit before I got around to fixing it.

You might be able to get more help at automotiveforums.com and/or batauto.com That's where I found out how to fix the Monte Carlo when/if it happens again.

Good luck.