smog air pump

Old 11-18-06, 04:19 PM
smog air pump

Hello, I just bought a 1991 Ford F150 XLT, 305 EFI, 2X4, Automatic. While inspecting the engine, I found that there is a hose that goes nowwhere. The configuration is: air pump>hose>canister>hose>?. That hose has been cut and I can not find where it should attach to. The pump is sucking air through the hose and I am thinking that it should be connected to the manifold somewhere. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I believe this is smog equipment related. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I believe this truck was sold new in Gary Indiana if this will help. Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-06, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check out this link below. It shows some vacuum line diagrams. I've never heard of a "air pump" before. But look at these diagrams and see if it helps.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0d/2c/9a/0900823d800d2c9a.jsp

Old 11-20-06, 04:39 AM
HotinOKC: Thank you for your reply. I followed your autozone links and I do not believe this is vacuum related. I did some searching and found this image of the hose at issue. unfortunatly, it does not show where the open end connects. It is the corragated hose on the left side of the silencer/filter. As a matter of fact, the image hose looks like its cut off the same place as mine.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/252396

Perhaps this will help you

Old 11-20-06, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
That hose is no doubt the fresh air intake for the pump. The pump should exhaust through another duct into, if memory serves, somewhere in the exhaust system where it was designed, I think, to help burn unburned gases in the exhaust. Don't know if that inlet would have just been open to the air or possibly it would have been connected to the air filter housing much like some pcv's. Thought by '91 that smog pumps were replaced with something more modern for pollution control.

Old 11-20-06, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Here's a little info:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0a/2f/8b/0900823d800a2f8b.jsp

Looks like there should be a check valve on the end of the hose.

Old 11-20-06, 05:28 AM
Tow Guy: Thank you for the links, I looked at all of the images and can't seem to find the one that would show the the check valve of which you speak. Of course I have no idea of what I'm looking at anyway. Can you clue me. Thanks again

Old 11-20-06, 08:46 PM
that looks like the intake for the air pump, I don't think it attaches to anything. the air pump is designed to feed extra oxygen to the catalytic converter at times, so that hose may just be to help prevent the air pump from sucking water if you hit a puddle or such.

Old 11-21-06, 04:44 AM
Thanks all, I will sleep well

Old 11-21-06, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Check figure 3 on that link and click to enlarge the view; the check valve is shown.