Rear drum brakes on a 2000 Kia Sportage

Old 11-18-06, 05:01 PM
Unhappy Rear drum brakes on a 2000 Kia Sportage

I have a 2000 kia sportage with drum brakes on the rear. The drums will not come off. I took off 4 nuts off the drum plus 2 screws too. I also tapped on the drum with a hammer,but there was no success. I looked for a adjustment for the rear shoes but could'nt find any. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-06, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There WILL be a small access hole either on the drum or backing plate. Sometimes this hole may have a rubber grommet that needs to be removed. Once located, take a brake adjuster tool or a small screwdriver and start turning this adjuster until drum spins freely. Do not force the drum off with tools if you have not turned this shoe adjuster.

Old 11-18-06, 07:42 PM
Thumbs up 2000 kia sportage rear brakes

Thanx for your help but I dont see any adjustment on this vehicle. Hopefully there is more replies coming.

Old 11-19-06, 06:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need to back off the adjuster located at the top the brake assembly.There's an rubber grommet on the backing plate.You need to use a short flat screwdriver and ratchet back the star wheel in which you acess through the small hole in the backing plate.Now there's an arm that rests on the notches of the star wheel of the adjuster so the brakes don't back off, as the going down the road.This needs to be pushed away from the star wheel in for you to back off the adjuster.This will contract the brake shoes away from the drum.This will allow you to remove the drum.**A word of caution: if you don't move that arm, You'll be able to adjust the star wheel!but your now expanding the shoes closer to the drums!The sportage's doesn't have automatic adjusting brakes so,you'll have to expand the shoes one click every 7000 miles or click it then spin the drum,continue to adust until you feel an slight drag on the drum as you spin it.

Old 11-19-06, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Also, look for some extra threaded holes (usually 2) in the face of the drum. These can be used to "push" the drum off by threading in a couple of bolts. Just make sure you use bolts of the proper size thread.