Dodge Intrepid Radiator Fill

Old 11-19-06, 10:53 AM
Question Dodge Intrepid Radiator Fill

I got myself roped into replacing a radiator on a 1998 Dodge Intrepid. Its back together and I notice there is no radiator cap, just a coolant reservoir. What is the method of adding the water and antifreeze back to the system? Will it take the water through the reservoir just like a radiator cap? If I had this info I could wind this project up.

Its funny how the little things can hang a project.

Thanks,
networker

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-06, 11:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, fill the reservoir.

Old 11-19-06, 01:27 PM
Yes, fill it at the reservoir, you don't say what engine you have and I'll take a guess here it's 2.7, if so, there's a bleeder on top of the housing which top/upper radiator hose goes to(you may see a trace of leak around the housing too) crack that fitting loose and fill the reservoir until coolant comes out from the bleeder then close everything and check the level again at the reservoir.

Old 11-19-06, 04:28 PM
It is a 2.7L. The location of the bleeder was what I needed.

Thanks,
networker

Old 11-20-06, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the help so far. Are there any tricks to bleeding this cooling system? With the bleeder open it took about 6 qts. and has over the next 20 minutes taken 1 more qt. The temp guage shows in the center between cold and hot but I have no heat from the heater. The bleeder is blowing mostly steam or warm air with some light spraying from time to time. The fans are kicking in some but not much. It seems that I havn't been able to get all the air out of the block.

thanks,
networker

Old 11-20-06, 02:17 PM
Try to put a long piece of hose (vacuum hose or fuel hose) about 2-3 feet long on the bleeder and hang the other end of the hose on the hood's striker or anywhere which higher than the heater core, fill it up at reservoir again untill water comes out.