96 Blazer Heater Switch?

Old 11-20-06, 07:46 AM
96 Blazer Heater Switch?

96 Blazer 4dr, 4x4, 4.3

The heater switch only worked on high for a while but now it won't work at all. After searching the forum here, I realize this is most likely a "resistor" problem. My question(s) are,, where is this located on the Blazer and how hard is this to get to? Does the dash cluster have to come off or am I in the wrong area all together?? Is this an expensive part and being a "somewhat novice" would I be able to do this?? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-06, 10:41 AM
Anybody??? LOL

I have a Chiltons' manual but it doesn't say ANYTHING about a resistor or the blower switch itself. Very confused???

Old 11-20-06, 02:04 PM
bump,,, help please.

Old 11-20-06, 02:12 PM
I do not know your specific model. GM normally, the resisters are mounted to the duct next to the blower motor under the hood. Approxametly 2" x 3" plate. It has a couple screws and an electrical plug. The actual resisters are inside the duct attachet to the plate. Normally the resisters are not used on high speed. Sounds more like a blower motor problem. If you can, check for voltage on the blower motor plug to ground. Auto Zone should have some help on line with photos on changing a blower motor.

Old 11-20-06, 02:14 PM
Under the right side of the dashyou'll see the A/C plenum. The blower motor is in the right side and gpes UP into the plenum.
The resistor block should be very close to the motor and usually is about 3 inches by 1 1/2 inch and secured by two screws.....
NOW...........If the resistor HAS taken a digger, be advised it will be in your best interests to change the motor also......or at least ohm check it......99% of resistor failures are caused by motors that are worn, not necessarily worn out........but worn

Old 11-20-06, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by wrench47
Under the right side of the dashyou'll see the A/C plenum. The blower motor is in the right side and gpes UP into the plenum.
The resistor block should be very close to the motor and usually is about 3 inches by 1 1/2 inch and secured by two screws.....
NOW...........If the resistor HAS taken a digger, be advised it will be in your best interests to change the motor also......or at least ohm check it......99% of resistor failures are caused by motors that are worn, not necessarily worn out........but worn
When you say the right side of the dash do you mean,, "inside" the vehicle or under the hood???