Windshield Wiper Switch

Old 11-20-06, 10:17 AM
hth
Windshield Wiper Switch

I have a problem with the windshield wiper switch on my Honda CRV 2001. The switch has 3 speed: int., low, and high. I don't know when it started because my wife uses the car but the int. and low speed doesn't work. Only the high speed is working. When I set it at int. or slow speed I can hear the sound ticking (from a relay ?) as if the wiper was working but it is not wiping at all. I look in the underhood and driver side fuse boxes for any relay for wiper but I can 't see one. Please help me to fix the problem. Thanks.

Also when I turn off the wiper it stop right at the time I turn off the switch. It means the wiper can park any where on the windshield, not at the lowest posion close to the hood. What can I do to fix? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-06, 11:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You either have a bad wiper motor, or a bad wiper switch. If you hear the relay engage when selecting speed, it tells me the switch is working, but the motor is not. It works in high because it is getting more juice.

Old 11-20-06, 11:14 AM
hth
Thanks for the reply.

Are the 2 wipers driven by separate motor?

Old 11-20-06, 04:33 PM
Just one motor. If you are good with a multimeter, you can teest for voltage at that motor connector.

Old 11-21-06, 04:25 PM
hth
Mark,

I googled and found out some info about the motor. Dealers have it for $282. Other online stores have it for $85 + $25 for core exchange. I got a multimeter but what are the expected readings? The Haynes Repair Maual doesn't tell me how to test the motor.

Is this OK to purchare the $85 motor or should I go for the $282 at dealers? I buy rebuilt alternators, water pumps, etc. but I'd like to know what others would buy?

Thanks.

Last edited by hth; 11-21-06 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 10:15 AM
You can go with that $85 motor. They don't call dealerships, "Stealerships" for nothing. Give me a little bit and I will try and see what the readings should be.

Old 11-22-06, 10:24 AM
I could not find the wiring for this, but, take that plug off the motor, put wipers on HIGH, ground one of the multimeter leads to the car, and poke around with the other lead till you find the terminal that has voltage. Do this with all settings, LOW, Delay, etc. If you have voltage to the plug with all settings, it's your motor for sure, if you do not have voltage, then it's your switch/relay.

Note: when wipers on delay, you will only get voltage every couple seconds when the relay sends the power to the motor, if that makes sense.

Old 11-22-06, 01:14 PM
hth
Great! Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread