1998 GMC z71

Old 11-20-06, 10:36 AM
1998 GMC z71

I just had my engine rebuilt. The Truck has 97,000 miles on it. I had it rebuilt because the lifters were ticking in the morning and I couldn't stand it. I went to pick my truck back up, and when I started driving home it felt like the transmission was shifting. Almost like someone was putting the brake on real quick. So I turned around and brought it back. The next day I went to pick it up and they said the "Knock Sensor" was bad. So I drove it home, which is 5 miles from the garage... The next morning I went out and started it to let it warm up a little and the truck actually started to rock back and forth! I called them back and they told me I needed my transmission rebuilt. There was nothing wrong with it when I brought it there. I mean I never noticed anything. Any ideas?? I just put $2300.00 in the motor. They said $1300.00 to rebuilt the transmisson. It's an automatic.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-06, 10:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you replace the knock sensor? A knocks sensor controls timing, etc. If the sensor is bad, then the engine will run funny and make the tranny feel like it's bad. I doubt it's your actual tranny. If the car feels like it's shaking like that, then it's probably the knock sensor, engine mounts, or maybe a torque converter.

Old 11-20-06, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the reply.. Yes it was replaced I believe it was like 40 bucks. I don't think it's the transmission either. But this is what they are telling me. Thats what it feels like tho. Like the torque converter is going in and out. It usually does it when it starts getting warm. If I let it idle when its cold the truck will rock back and forth in park and in neuteral. I' m at a loss.

Old 11-20-06, 04:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have they checked your timing?

Old 11-20-06, 05:24 PM
Thumbs up

QUOTE] Sounds like engine rebuilt gone bad. Make them fix it right.Shame on them.

Old 11-20-06, 05:42 PM
Yeah, they did check the timing and the plugs and wires according to them. They also want me to bring it back to get the oil changed in 400 miles and go over things. Funny thing is i've only put on 10 miles on the truck since i've gotten it back. They have put on 20 miles just "test driving" it. I called and talked to them and they still insist that its the transmission. I told them it was fine before, but they don't believe me apparently. They said it was nothing they could have done to make it like that. So basically my truck had been sitting in my driveway for a month now.. and of course here comes christmas.. LOL I can't get a break. Thanks you for the replys and input. Maybe I should call a lawyer.

Old 11-21-06, 01:45 AM
rocking me to sleep

hey did your check engine light come on because if you knock sensor was that bad then it should have set a light, the only thing really they could have done to the trans was pull the converter out a little when they removed your engine, sometimes you can unspline then a little and it can cause you all kinds of headaches,and also make sure they have all the ground in place and the harness isnt pinched between the bellhousing and engine that and easy one to do, those trans are computer controlled so stuff like that can make one act crazy,also if they painted your engine intake ect when they did the rebuilt that can also cause poor ground if the paint is under that ground wire loops,if your trans fluid doesnt smell burnt then i doubt its your trans is bad,which i seriously doubt anyway if it was fine before unless you have luck like me then the trans is toast and will probably lock up brake the crank in half split the block causing you to spin out of control hitting a parked sherriff spilling his coffee and crushing his donuts and we all know what happens then, anyway good luck hope this helps

Old 11-21-06, 03:42 AM
Take it to another shop and get a 2nd opinion in writing.

Old 11-21-06, 04:38 AM
haha yeah Charlie I have raelly bad luck. They did paint the engine, well at least the valve covers. I will take it to a GM dealer and at least have them take a peek at it. I just have the feeling i'm getting screwed. And thought someone would know a quick cheap fix. thanks guys!

Old 11-21-06, 08:15 AM
I agree with mattison,take it somewhere else. Document everything.Save your paper work. If all else fails,there is small claims court.
I had a similiar situation with a so-called mechanic trying to screw me over with B.S. Unfortuantely for him i was motor savy enough to sue him. Yes,i won in court.

Search this Thread