Vibration After Highering

Old 11-21-06, 07:22 AM
Vibration After Highering

What would cause my van to vibrate from 10 to 20 mph after highering the back end 7ins?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 08:20 AM
You have changed the angle of the driveshaft between the tranny and the differencial and have placed more pressure on the u-joints, the vibration would indicate that one of them is bad either front or rear. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 11-21-06, 09:28 AM
Vibration

Originally Posted by chevyastro4x4
What would cause my van to vibrate from 10 to 20 mph after highering the back end 7ins?
HIGHERING? You have changed the angle of the drivetrain and that may need to be measured and adjusted. Don't assume you have a bad U-Joint.

Old 11-21-06, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Was this before or after your recent other postings on vibrations?

Old 11-21-06, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Was this before or after your recent other postings on vibrations?

well there was a little vibration before, but now its alot wrost, but i noise(from my early post)is almost gone

Old 11-21-06, 03:45 PM
I agree, DRIVE SHAFT ANGLE.

Sounds exactly like a drive shaft vibration.

Is it a tight vibration ? If it is, it's most likely coming from the driveshaft.

Put the rear end down and see if it goes away.

Could be a bad yoke bearing.

Old 11-21-06, 04:39 PM
not a good idea

Lifting the rear end is a bad idea here is why it throws the driveline geomatry way off bad for U joints,throws weight ratio off on entire car or truck ( squirrley handling) puts to much weight on front suspension parts because of weight transfer.
But hey it looks cool did it myself on a 65 Dodge many many many moons ago. on the plus side my girfriends dad was a front end man so he replaced all my ball joints and front end parts real cheap at his shop.Dont forget to paint the diffrentiol cover for the true cool look.

Old 11-21-06, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by michael van
Lifting the rear end is a bad idea here is why it throws the driveline geomatry way off bad for U joints,throws weight ratio off on entire car or truck ( squirrley handling) puts to much weight on front suspension parts because of weight transfer.
But hey it looks cool did it myself on a 65 Dodge many many many moons ago. on the plus side my girfriends dad was a front end man so he replaced all my ball joints and front end parts real cheap at his shop.Dont forget to paint the diffrentiol cover for the true cool look.
well it didnt lift it that much it only lifted about 3ins my left springs are shot. when the van is back to nomal it still vibratesjust not as bad

Old 11-21-06, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mackey
I agree, DRIVE SHAFT ANGLE.

Sounds exactly like a drive shaft vibration.

Is it a tight vibration ? If it is, it's most likely coming from the driveshaft.

Put the rear end down and see if it goes away.

Could be a bad yoke bearing.

what do you meanby tight vibration

Old 11-21-06, 05:29 PM
one piece?

Is it a one piece driveshaft?if a two piece it could be the carrier bearing.If one piece check for thrown weights also check to make sure it is clean with no mud or undercoating stuck on it.
Inspect U joints for slop also swap tires from front to back and see what happenns.While you have tires off inspect them for ply seperation.

Old 11-21-06, 06:28 PM
Is it a one piece driveshaft?if a two piece it could be the carrier bearing.If one piece check for thrown weights also check to make sure it is clean with no mud or undercoating stuck on it.
Inspect U joints for slop also swap tires from front to back and see what happenns.While you have tires off inspect them for ply seperation.
its a one piece shalf, there is paint and undercoating on it. as in slop do you mean if i jack up the whole can and put it in netural and spin the wheel the shalft has a little play in it before the wheel spins

Old 11-21-06, 07:42 PM
Check the U-Joints and then----Have a nice day. Geo

Old 11-22-06, 01:11 AM
thats right

thats what I mean by slop there should be none, also there should be no undercoating or paint on it it is a balanced assembly.

Old 11-22-06, 07:03 AM
thats what I mean by slop there should be none, also there should be no undercoating or paint on it it is a balanced assembly.
ok thanks, how hard is it to change the joints

Old 11-22-06, 01:57 PM
been awhile

been awhile but I know you need to remove snap ring and press out old bearings with a socket and a vice or a press..

Old 11-22-06, 08:30 PM
what do you meanby tight vibration[Quote]

I mean the way it feels or the frequency of the vibration.

Like a wheel out of balance feels like a wobble at 50 MPH( long frequency)but a drive shaft out of balance has a higher frequency and has a shorter or tighter vibration because of the smaller diameter of the drive shaft at the same speed.
Hope I am making sense and not gobbledy gook.

I had the same problem on my old '86 Bonco II, it was a bad rear differential yoke bearing that made the drive shaft vibrate.
I thought the drive shaft was bent or threw a weight but it was the yoke bearing. Drove me nuts till I figured it out.

Old 11-22-06, 11:34 PM
ok that makes better sense, i think im just going to lower it because it killed my gas mileage