clear coat repair

Old 11-21-06, 01:37 PM
clear coat repair

I have a '98 G Caravan that the clear coat is flaking off on the rear quater panel. Too old of a car to spend a lot on but I heard that Future floor wax that is clear could work. Anyone have any extperience with this. The paint is good and clear coat is not necessary but if I go to trade it the dealer will make a big deal of it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-06, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know of any way to repair the clear coat short of sanding and repainting. I don't guess the floor wax would hurt anything except it WOULD need to be removed prior to painting.

Old 11-21-06, 04:05 PM
What mark said, the clear coat is failing and it all needs to be sanded or stripped to the color coat. What you suggest are stop gap measures that might get you thru the trade in, but won't last long.

Old 11-21-06, 04:24 PM
Have you gotten a quote to repair the affected area of peeling clear coat? What is the cost of repair versus return on investment for trade in? Can you get a better deal if you sell it on your own? Many report getting more out of a used car by selling it themselves than they get on a trade in. Have you checked Blue Book value?

Old 11-22-06, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Question

I'm not sure the condition of the paint on an 8 year old Caravan is going to make much of an impact on the trade-in value unless it's otherwise in excellent condition and one of the higher-priced versions.