88 camry heater trouble

Old 11-22-06, 05:55 PM
Smile 88 camry heater trouble

My '88 camry, 2l 4 cyl, heater blows cold air..occasionally will blow warm air on startup but not for long..replaced thermostat
and radiator, operating temp is nominal..I suspect a blend problem but don't have a clue where to look..any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The air mixing valve as they sometimes call it is attached to the airbox, which is usually behind the glove box. It is a pain in the butt to get to. It will require you to take apart your entire dash board.

Old 11-22-06, 06:46 PM
thanks for the info.. i have removed the glove box but find no moving parts, i was afraid i might have to remove more of the dash..thanks again!

Old 11-23-06, 07:25 AM
You won't see any moving parts. All these parts are enclosed in that big black airbox. You have to take all that out. I've hear some people finding the location of the valve and drilling a hole near it and shoving a coat hanger up there to keep the valve open. Either way is a pain in the butt.

Old 11-23-06, 07:32 AM
If you have a Haynes/Chiltons manual as well, find the Heater Control Valve, which is usually near the firewall in the engine bay. That "maybe" another thing wrong.