shock cartridge off center

Old 11-22-06, 10:23 PM
shock cartridge off center

97 Lumina 128k miles

I replaced front shock cartridges a while ago. Since then the front is making a squaking noise. I suspect the left front shock. The cartidge was not sitting in the center of the shock housing.

My Question: Why would a cartridge not be positioned in the center of a shock? How to correct the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-06, 07:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After jsut replacing my springs and shocks I had the same issue. What I think happened in your case is, the spring isolator (rubber sleeve on bottom of spring) either came off or moved, etc. This will cause the spring to rub on the shock/strut mount. Also, the struts (front) top hat needs to be facing a specific way usually. The top hat (the big piece that bolts down onto the strut) should say OUT on top of it, this needs to be facing out of the wheel well, usually the same side as the strut mounting bolts at the bottom. When you take this all apart, make sure the spring is properly sitting on the strut perch, and the spring is not overlaping the mount. Once fixed, spray some lithium grease around the springs bases.

Old 11-25-06, 07:47 PM
Thanks. I will check the spring isolator tomorrow when the sun is up.

By the way, replacing the cartridge was done from the top, without removing the shock or compressing the spring. It was second replacement since I bought the vehicle used at 25,000 miles. The first time PepBoys did it. There is a possibility that the vehicle was in collision before I got it.

Thanks.

Old 11-25-06, 09:07 PM
Don't know if that is physically possible as the cartridge doesn't usually have a lot of room in the tube..........and the nut up top usually centers it............I put a small amount of oil in the tube before installing the cartridge as a noise dampening agent
As far as collision damage.......A competent alignment tech will know right off if the front end has been "relocated"........
Be advised there are several noise generating parts on this vehicle. The steering couplers have made noise since the Citation came out...........and the lover control arm bushings can squall and knock too

Old 11-26-06, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by wrench47
Don't know if that is physically possible as the cartridge doesn't usually have a lot of room in the tube..........and the nut up top usually centers it............
That's exactly why I wonder if the shock housing was bent or something. The cartridge was inserted in the skewed position so that putting the top rubber pad (the 2" thick one) was a challenge. Was it because the shock housing was bent?