1988 s10 blazer TDC and distributor are no match

Old 11-24-06, 08:35 AM
Unhappy 1988 s10 blazer TDC and distributor are no match

hello this is my first time posting here. I am perplexed. According to the manual for a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3 liter...
TDC and The #1 valve closed should equal dist.facing forward.

I HAVE... TDC equals # 1 valve open and dist. off by an inch or so to the right.

This vehicle has always been off in timing with backfiring sometimes the only method of propelling one down the street. Also it will not run/start anytime it rains. With all the rain we've had here this vehicle is useless. We decided to tackle this project once and for all But it's looking like someone else at one time beat us to it, and gave up about right where I am now.

Thankyou in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-06, 04:27 PM
How are you determining the valve is closed or open?

If you are at TDC on compression for the #1 cylinder and the #1 cylinder valves (either of them) is open your timing chain has skipped or has been incorrectly installed. When you are at TDC for exhaust for that cylinder, the rotor will be pointing 180 degrees away from the distributor terminal for the #1 cylinder, given the timing is correct.

If you have a lot of miles on the engine and it has never had the timing chain replaced (or other work done on the engine that would have involved removal of the cam/timing chain), the problem is likely a worn out timing chain/gear set.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Search this Thread