How to Tighten Drive Belts on a 95 Galant GLS

Old 11-27-06, 02:49 PM
How to Tighten Drive Belts on a 95 Galant GLS

I have a 1995 Galant GLS Automatic Transmission that had belt service during the summer. I got new drive belts installed and I now notice that with the car having 'broken in' the new belts, there is an annoying squealing noise that happens now that the cold weather is here. I know the belts need the tension adjusted so I want to cut through the chase and tighten them myself. The car has three belts. I have identified the squeakiest one to be the one that runs the blower/ac because after the engine has warmed up and the initial squeal on driving the fiirst couple yards ended, there's a brief squeal once again when the cabin heater is turned on before everything goes quiet like it should be. This problem only surfaced after the cold weather kicked in so I know the tension on the belt is slightly off. I also had the harmonic balancer replaced so I'm pretty sure it is the belts. I just want to know what I should tighten and how. Any advice out there??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 03:00 PM
If the belts were replaced by someone else, I would take it back. That can usually be a major hassle, however. Not familiar with that manufacturer, but it can't be that hard, if you have any mechanical ability. Follow the path of the belt, one of the things with a pulley on it has an adjustment on it. It could be a bolt that moves the alternator(or whatever), it could be a bolt you loosen to slide a bracket, or it could be a spring loaded pulley that has lost its' spring. Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-06, 04:18 PM
Thanks, I'll try to get this done, and if not, I'll just take it back to the mechanic. It is looks to be a very simple procedure.

Thanks, Bill.

Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
If the belts were replaced by someone else, I would take it back. That can usually be a major hassle, however. Not familiar with that manufacturer, but it can't be that hard, if you have any mechanical ability. Follow the path of the belt, one of the things with a pulley on it has an adjustment on it. It could be a bolt that moves the alternator(or whatever), it could be a bolt you loosen to slide a bracket, or it could be a spring loaded pulley that has lost its' spring. Hope this helps.