Honda Element Timing Belt

Old 11-27-06, 05:09 PM
Cool Honda Element Timing Belt

I have a 2003 Honda Element. Chilton or Haynes doesn't have a repair manual yet. Does anyone have any info on how to replace the timing belt. Does the engine have to be pulled. I have done rear wheel drive vehicles before but not any side front wheel drives.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-06, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Front wheel drives are more difficult because the motor is mounted sideways. Try to purchase the ESM (electronic service manual) from somewhere, usually the dealer. This is what they use when repairing vehicles and it is very detailed. It will cost you probably around $50-100 but is well worth it.

Old 11-28-06, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Before you get carried away, make sure you HAVE a belt and not a chain. Some of the newer Hondas use chains.

Old 11-29-06, 08:09 PM
Chain instead of belt

I checked and it is a chain not a belt. Would the chain still need to be replaced at 100K.

Old 11-30-06, 01:39 AM
check maintenance schedule

Check the Honda mainteance schedule to make sure but I venture to say no. Chains are a better choice IMO. But check.
Call the dealer if in doubt.

Old 11-30-06, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
One of the smarter things Honda's done; putting timing BELTS on their valve-bender engines was just plain DUMB (although good for business).

Old 11-30-06, 02:27 PM
good job Honda

About time Honda got with the program now they are just as good as Toyota and I might even look at them since that is one of my requirments to have a chain. When I ask the salesman they never know so I have to do some footwork.
Honda makes Quality stuff thats for sure. even better now with the chain.

Old 11-30-06, 05:45 PM
Thanks

Thanks for all your input. I'm glad it's a chain too. Not only do most salesmen not know but my daughter's maintenance guy didn't know either. Or either he thought my daughter wouldn't ask her dad to check. Thanks again.

Old 12-01-06, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Good thing to catch ahead of time; imagine the honest mechanic who opens it up looking for a belt and finds a chain. Oops....