Trailer wiring harness connection on 2002 Chevy Silverado

Old 11-29-06, 06:28 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trailer wiring harness connection on 2002 Chevy Silverado

I purchased a U-haul brand trailer wiring connector kit to attach to my 2002 Chevy Silverado for connecting to trailer's wiring harness. All connections worked well, and all lights on the trailer worked well except the brake lights. The lights on the trailer do not light up when I step on the brakes (the trailer running lights remain on). I connected the indicated brake wire of the u-haul harness to the center high-mounted stoplamp (light blue) wire of the truck's integrated six-wire trailer towing harness using the connector clips that came with the u-haul kit. Do I have a bad connection between the truck's wiring harness & the u-haul kit, should I connect to another wire on the truck's harness, other suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by orbeaguy; 11-29-06 at 06:32 AM. Reason: entered wrong model year
Old 11-29-06, 07:45 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Buy a six dollar test light.
Make sure it's well grounded by the alligator clip. Check the brake light power coming out of the truck. If you have it there, the problem is likely in the trailer wiring.

Also check the power on either side of the connections.
Sometimes those little clips don't do the best job of connecting. You may have to wiggle them a little.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 11-29-06, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does your truck has seperate turn signals(amber) and brakes (red) lens?. If it does, you may need a conversion box for that set up.

Old 11-29-06, 04:09 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the turn signals work okay, and if the truck has red turnsignal/brake lights, then disconnect the wire on the high mount stop light on the truck. That should cure the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: