Prestone Antifreeze opinions

Old 11-29-06, 10:27 AM
Prestone Antifreeze opinions

I went shopping at the local auto store today and came across
antifreeze from Prestone claiming to compatiable with ALL vehicles.
Of cource my internal warning alarm went off about the claim so i thought
i'd post here for opinions. cars are too expensive today to disregard the manufacture's claim that anything else other than what THEY make voids warrantees.
Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-06, 04:08 PM
Not long ago it was taboo to mix orange and green. Prestone says their new stuff mixes with either, but I am not convinced. Just be sure to flush the system, not a bad idea anyhow, then add new at 50/50.

Old 11-29-06, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't believe that manufacturers require you to buy their products. They would prefer that you do because of the high profit margin. They do require equivelent specification products. If they say to use silicate free antifreeze, then that is what you should use. Same as motor oil and filters, they don't have to be branded G.M. or whatever, but should meet the car makers minimum specs.

Old 11-29-06, 07:16 PM
Food For Thought

My '01 Malibu was fine until I changed the OEM coolant ( orange) to Prestone.
Very shortly after that I had coolant leaks at several places.
This could just be coincedence since it is a known fault of GM's 3.1 LV6 to leak coolant from the intake gasket and in the plumbing around the intake.
BUT, I think if I kept the coolant OEM I may have put the leaks off for a little while longer.

Next time I buy a new car and keep it for 5 years or longer I WILL use the recomended OEM replacement stuff.

Just food for thought.

Old 11-29-06, 08:36 PM
My info on the matter, Mac, is that the "Dexcool" (orange) although it "lasts" longer was supposedly hard on the rubber gasket material of the intake.......Anyone who's bought into that 100,000/5yr horsebleep G.M was pushing had better check under their rad. caps.........That stuff gets NASTY after about 60,000..........Changing it back to ethyl glycol didn't cause the problem, but if you flushed the system out well, you probably disturbed all the crud that Dexcool becomes..........
I thought the other reason for dexcool was that the green stuff was/is...extremely unfriendly to the enviornment........sick people use it to rid their neighborhoods of stray animals.........I thought dex was supposed to be LESS hazardous???? I may be wrong...........
The YELLOW coolant coming out now can be used with either Red or green.......unlike mixing red AND green which seems to accelerate the crud build up of the dexcool.........

Old 11-30-06, 11:26 AM
Wrench, you're thinking of propylene glycol, an antifreeze that is friendly to the environment and is in a class all by itself, apart from the mainstream antifreezes discussed above. Dexcool is hazardous to pets.

According to IMCool.com, a garage only needs to stock two types of antifreezes - Dexcool type and G-05 type.

You can't go by color anymore when choosing antifreezes. The industry does not yet have a standardized notation for identifying different classes of antifreezes. This situation is in flux right now.

In my opinion, you can really use any antifreeze you want as long as all the old coolant is first flushed out of the system. There's nothing that magical about the difference in materials used in cooling systems among the auto manufacturers. I use Zerex G-05 for all my vehicles that don't specify Dexcool or its derivatives.

Old 11-30-06, 02:53 PM
Angry

I knew there was reason I flunked chemistry..........

Old 11-30-06, 06:08 PM
Here's a good chart to help with your (and everybody else's) education. Download it into your file database for future use.

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Old 12-01-06, 04:54 PM
nice chart

Nice chart good info.I just wish things like coolants were more like in the 60s one stinking color green.
Prestone went into everything sure miss those days.

Old 12-02-06, 09:14 AM
Did i misread the site report that said only their product was compatible with Ford and Chyrsler products only?

Old 12-02-06, 09:18 AM
I'm not surprised. In general, Ford and Daimler-Chrysler have gone to G-05, GM and VW have gone with Dexcool.

G-05 is more compatible with other fluids than Dexcool.

Last edited by Kestas; 12-02-06 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-02-06, 10:34 AM
I guess i will stay with what the manufactures recommend.
You know the old saying"if it ain't broke,don't fix it".