Mechanical fuel pump repair.

Old 11-30-06, 05:24 PM
Thumbs up Mechanical fuel pump repair.

I am replacing a circa 1950 mechanical fuel pump diaphram with Buna-N rubber.
How much deflection should I provide on the diaphram prior to making the rim screw holes in the rubber fabric? I would think that the pump should be assembled with the diaphram stem moved to the maxamum travel that the pump cam arm moves it (that would be the end of vacuum cycle). My problem is I do not have a screw hole perforated diaphram for proper alighment, as I must make the holes. I can not copy prior diaphram dimension as it is missing.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-06, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't rebuilt a fuel pump since the late '50's. As I recall, once the center connecting rod was hooked to the actuating arm, the actuating arm was left in it's neutral position while the case was re-assembled.

Old 11-30-06, 09:06 PM
Thanks Goldstar, I will mount the pump on the block with the slight pressure of the engine cam on the actuating arm (heel of of engine cam). Sandwitch diaphram between pump halfs and mark the six screw holes to be made in diaphram. Could not find reasonable price 6 volt fuel pump to replace the manual one on this welding generator.

Old 12-01-06, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My only other thought is to check a NAPA store. They supposedly have 6 volt fuel pumps, but I don't know the price.