Odor in Heating/AC System

Old 12-02-06, 08:34 AM
Thumbs down Odor in Heating/AC System

There is an odor of dog mess coming from the heating/ac system when i turn on the fan. I've only recently noticed it. The car is dormant for most of the week and only used on weekends. It's located in the Northeast. Can this be mildew? How do i correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-06, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like mildew or mold or both. First check for rotted leaves and other debris at the air intake - usually just below the windshield. Second, try a mildew spray thru the system with the blower at full speed. Third step would be to check for a plugged condensate drain which runs from the air conditioner box under the dash to the outside. If the above steps fail to cure the problem you may have to pull the covers and ducting and completely clean the system with bleach or similar. Not an easy or quick job.

Old 12-03-06, 01:34 AM
The other possibility is that you're the victim of a prankster and instead of rotting leaves you will find actual dog mess- wear gloves. Did this start right after halloween?

Old 12-03-06, 04:45 AM
All of the above or....many newer cars have a cabin filter to filter out dust, and stuff. That filter can clog and then with a little moisture, could be mold. Another possibility is a mouse has gotten in and died. Check you owners manual for the location and how to on the filter. Some are hard to get out, soem not so hard.