No air movement from heating vents

Old 12-02-06, 07:04 PM
No air movement from heating vents

1992 Olds Cutlass Supreme, 3.4L DOHC motor, automatic transmission
Heating system works great with one exception - there is minimal air movement from the vents. If you put you hand on the vent you can feel the heat and some movement of air but very minimal. It's like there is something blocking the vents. I was told that there is a mesh that needs to be cleared of debris but was given no indication of where to find this mesh and or how to do this. I tried to vacuum the vents to no avail.
Any assistance rendered is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-06, 07:07 PM
with the blower on high there is very little air movement at the vents? what about the defrost and floor do you have air movement at any of these places.

Old 12-02-06, 07:16 PM
mimimal air movement

Thank you for your quick response
Defrost has a little more movement than the dash vents or under dash vents. It does keep the windshield clear but the door windows do not clear as quickly.
I've tried all the various heat source buttons on the panel to check for the amount of air moving - options are upper/lower combo, upper, lower, defog and then defrost. All have little movement. There aren't any funny noises when the heat is turned on. All sounds normal.

Old 12-02-06, 07:22 PM
I remember on my moms old car, a '91 olds delta 88 with a 3.8L ahd the same problem. It was the motor for the fan, it ran the same speed no matter what. I put a new motor in and it ran fine. The old motor was full of a black powder from the brushes. I think it cost about $30 for the new fan motor.

Old 12-02-06, 07:44 PM
blower motor is a possibility or if its always blowing out the defrost even when its not selected it could be a vacum problem causing them not to switch and if thats the case would check the vacum lines under the hood for a starting point.

Old 12-02-06, 07:49 PM
Thank you
Does not blow out the defrost when not selected.
What is the level of difficulty to change the blower motor?

Old 12-03-06, 12:33 AM
I don't know about the olds, but I had a car once (think it was a neon) that would pick up leaves and debris at the intake to the heating system. Look under the hood along the firewall and clear any debris you find- especially if it's covering something that looks like a screen.

Old 12-03-06, 08:49 AM
Thank you! I'll give that a try.