'96 Chrysler with squeaky rack and pinion

Old 12-03-06, 10:59 AM
Question '96 Chrysler with squeaky rack and pinion

I'm a new member and tried to search as best I could before posting but couldn't find anything like the problem I have.

My wife drives a '96 Chrysler Concorde with 114K miles on a 3.3L engine. GREAT CAR! A few months ago, I had the rack and pinion replaced because it was leaking power steering fluid. Took it back to the shop when the steering wasn't tight enough and noticed the whole rack moving from side to side when you turn the wheel. They said they forgot to put the bushings on top of the mounting bolts when they installed the new rack. That tightened it up and it steers great now. Took it back again because it was leaking pwr steering fluid again and it took them a long time to figure out it was my high pressure pwr steering hose. Makes me think it wasn't the rack in the first place but that's not why I'm posting now.

The problem I'm having now is that the car squeaks (like a door with hinges that need oiling) every time I turn the steering wheel. I had my son turn the wheel while I tried to pinoint the source. It's coming from inside the new rack. Is there a grease fitting somewhere on the rack? How do you lubricate a rack and pinion? There's plenty of pwr steering fluid in the reservoir and nothing is leaking.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
John in Hoover, AL

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-06, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How bad was it leaking AFTER you installed the new rack? If the leak was bad enough to keep adding fluid, there is a chance that the rack has been damaged by not having fluid. Racks are sensative. If there are no leaks now, you can try and bleed the system.

Get yourself a turkey baster or similar and suck out the fluid from the reservoir, turn car on, and crank wheel to the left, suck of the fluid that comes back into the res. You will eventually get foam, when you do, top off the res. and crank wheel again side to side. Keep topping off the fluid as you do this.

Old 12-03-06, 03:51 PM
REPLY: How bad was it leaking?

Mark:
You asked how bad it was leaking AFTER the new rack was installed and my best guess would be that it was leaking the same amount after as it was before. There were two ways I'd notice it was leaking; One was that it would drip on the exhaust and start smoking, the other was that the pwr steering pump would start making a noise like it was low on fluid. I never had to put more than about 8 ounces of fluid in it to fill it up. It was never completely empty.

I'll try bleeding the system. Thanks.

John
Birmingham, AL

Old 12-04-06, 02:41 AM
How old was the new one replaced?, does it still under 12 months of part warranty(if they give you one). Does it only happen when cold or does not matter?.

Is this apply to yours?.

DATE: Feb. 28, 1997
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 19-03-97 DATED FEB. 14, 1997 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE A CORRECTION TO A LABOR OPERATION NUMBER.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
"Squawk" noise from right steering gear isolator in cold weather (less than 20 degrees F.).

DIAGNOSIS:
Park vehicle for at least 4 hours at temperatures less than 20 degrees F. Start vehicle and turn steering wheel without moving vehicle. Listen for "squawk" noise from inside vehicle. If noise can be heard coming from the cowl area and can be isolated to the right side of the engine compartment, perform Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Quantity Part No. Description
(AR)1 04897706AA Isolator, Steering Gear Right Side, 1993-1995 M.Y.
(AR)1
04755114 Gear Steering, Standard, 1996 M.Y.
(AR)1 04886212AA Gear Steering, Speed Proportional, 1996 M.Y.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves replacing the steering gear isolator on 1993-95 models and the steering gear on 1996 models.