Thermostat And Heater

Old 12-04-06, 05:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Thermostat And Heater

Hello. Questions My Ex Husband Took My Thermostat Out Of My 2000 Kia Sportage Because It Was Stuck And Overheating My Car. I Do Not Have A Thermosat In Car Now. Could That Be Why My Heater Does Not Work?

Old 12-04-06, 05:44 AM
M
yes

yes put it back in get a new one you need it

Old 12-04-06, 05:45 AM
I'm no mechanic....

but I believe your heat should eventually start working. Maybe not on a short trip to the store but a longer trip when it has a chance to heat all the water in the radiator and engine, you should get heat. Then again, if you still don't get heat, when he removed the T-stat, and lost some of the coolant, I heard on previous posts you could have air in the system that needs to be bled out. Just throw my 2 cents out there while you wait for a real mechanic to answer.

Old 12-04-06, 06:06 AM
M
wont get to temp

Without the thermosat your water will not get hot and will even be colder as you drive because the air will cool the water.
The thermosat is there for several reasons one of them being for proper heat the other one is emmisions control. Todays engines are made to run at a preset temp and your computer takes the temp to regulate the proper fuel flow from some sensors.
Cars of today are not like cars of the 60s were it was common to remove it with no real adverse effects.
It is nothing more then a mixing valve to keep coolant at the set temp by the car maker.
Your engine will get the proper heat for your heater as well as better driveability (better fuel mileage) with it in there.
The only time I would remove it is if it was stuck closed and I had to get to a store to buy a new one.
A temp get me home fix.

Old 12-04-06, 07:01 AM
D
No heat

Originally Posted by SUSAN243
Hello. Questions My Ex Husband Took My Thermostat Out Of My 2000 Kia Sportage Because It Was Stuck And Overheating My Car. I Do Not Have A Thermosat In Car Now. Could That Be Why My Heater Does Not Work?
That is the reason , it will take forever for the coolant and engine to
heat up resulting in no heat also not good for fuel econmy as
if engine never warms up will run richer trying to warm up!

Old 12-04-06, 07:05 AM
M
Originally Posted by dscharf
That is the reason , it will take forever for the coolant and engine to
heat up resulting in no heat also not good for fuel econmy as
if engine never warms up will run richer trying to warm up!
thats right engine runs in open loop mode and wastes gas.

Old 12-05-06, 09:36 AM
S
Smile Thanks

Thank You For All That Answered My Question. I Went Down To Local O'reilly's Bought Thermostat Had It Put In And I Have Heat!!! Yes!! Thanks Again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: