brake inspection for cars

Old 12-07-06, 05:42 PM
There's simply too many variables to pin down how often brakes should be inspected. I think they should be inspected every time they start making unusual noises or start pulling to one side during use.

Edit: Why are these posts out of chronological order?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-06, 05:45 PM
brake inspection for cars

I have a 2004 Buick LeSabre. Under normal driving conditions how many miles should a person be able to drive before you have the brakes inspected?

Harlan

Old 12-07-06, 07:39 PM
OK, this is a sensitive topic.
Out of ten people you will get 10 different answers.
But this is MY theory, If the car is BRAND NEW you shouldn't have to check the pads and shoes for at least 25000 miles or so or 2 years unless weird noises or pulsing or unless it is a high performance vehicle, then the brakes should be checked even more frequently.
You should ALWAYS keep an eye on the fluid level and color.

If the car is older than 2 years I would check them once to twice a year
or every 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

It also depends on how the vehicle is driven ( city, highway) the size of the vehicle and driving habits of the driver and geographics like lots of hills or flat terrain, rain or sandy conditions.

So, you see it's very subjective.

Old 12-08-06, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
I agree. Your '04 is pushing 3 years old and I'm guessing has about 40,000 miles on it. You're probably pretty close to maybe needing the fronts done so now would be a good time to check.

Old 12-08-06, 04:54 AM
Thanks for all of the info. You are right my car has about 39000 miles on it. It seems to be OK at this point but I was thinking that it may be a good time to have them checked so I will have that done.

Harlan.

Old 12-08-06, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Tow Guy is psychic (or is that psychotic?).

I think you may find they're getting pretty close, but as Mackey points out your driving habits and environment will have a big effect on how much you have left. My sister got about 25,000 on her last set of pads, but I wouldn't recommend driving like she does.

Old 12-08-06, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the brakes should be checked everytime you rotate the tires. Disc brakes are too easy to inspect with the wheel off - no reason not to.

Brake wear, like a lot of other parts can vary by driving habits. My brakes will go almost twice as far as my wife's, but then my gal of gas will go further than hers, in the same vehicle