Brake Lights

Old 12-09-06, 12:00 PM
Brake Lights

I have a brake light problem with a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. I have replaced the brake light switch and bulbs and only the center brake light works. The two tail lights work, however no brake lights there. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-06, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you checked the fuse? I think it's fuse 13. Double check all your bulbs and wiring. Make sure the wiring going into the light is not corroded. Your taillights work because they are on a seperate circuit.

Your lights go from the brake switch (tied into fuse panel) directly to your stop lights.

Your center light is wired into the same brake switch, so this leads me to believe that one of your bulbs/wires is jacked up. Check for corrodes bulb sockets.

Old 12-09-06, 06:06 PM
OK.........I'm gonna ASSUME your turn signals are RED?????.........If that's the case, your brake light runs through your MULTI-FUNCTION switch in the steering column......If you have power to and THROUGH the brake light switch.......the turn signal work, but the brake lights don't..........That's where I'd head

Old 12-09-06, 08:17 PM
I think only 1997 Fords tie into the multi function. And, all 3 tie together and his 3rd brake light is working. It is more likely one of the lights and/or bulbs.

Old 12-09-06, 10:23 PM
gives the symptoms of a multifunction switch, working center brake light, non working right and left brake lights would probably be looking to see if it does share the same circuit with the turn signals.

Old 12-10-06, 08:28 AM
Ok, the two brake lights are tied into each other, if one is bad, both are bad. I don't see it being the multifunction switch. Pull your light assemblies off and test for power at the plug with the brake applied. If you have power, it's your lights and not multifunction.

Old 12-10-06, 11:46 AM
Thumbs down

According to the wiring diagram from Chilton's, the center light it separate. The tail light brake system is routed along with/through the multifunction switch. I haven't specificly located this switch on the steering column, however, by tearing it down and manipulating some wires, I do now have all brake lights when the steering column is tilted all the way up. If it is lowered even a fraction of an inch, the power to tail brake lights ceases. It does not appear that any wires are being stressed during the lowering process. If I could identify the switch I could test that. I can't see any area where all the wires come to a junction except at the fuse box.

Old 12-10-06, 11:53 AM
Left side of column with the turn signal stalk attached........2 screws and the whole enchilada comes out. No need to remove the steering wheel, but I would disconnect the battery and allow the SRS system to "go to sleep"..........an ounce of prevention there is worth a pound of cure