Crust on headlights

Old 12-09-06, 04:11 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crust on headlights

Hi:

The clear plastic front of the headlight has some sort of white crust on it. It has been getting worse over time. How can I get that off without scratching the plastic.

Also, I'm trying to aim the headlights on a catera. I'm not sure what to turn. Thank you very much for the help.

Bob

Old 12-09-06, 04:20 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The 'white crust' may be mineral salts from water. Try soaking with white vinegar. You can saturate paper towel with vinegar, cover towel with plastic, and tape over lights in order to give vinegar time to soften and hopefully dissolve minerals. Then, keep plastic sealed and waxed with plastic polish to provide sheeting action.

Old 12-09-06, 04:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They make plastic polishes for headlights. I got some MaGuires PlastX from Autozone and it took that sun haze out. You apply it like wax.

Regarding your aiming headlights-

Your manual should tell you how. Usually there is a knob you put a phillips head screwdriver in and turn. Sometimes these lights will have that liquid bubble leveler thingy to make sure they are straight.

Old 12-09-06, 04:41 PM
B
Crust on headlights

Hi:

Thanks. I'll try the vinegar solution first. As for aiming, the directions are not clear at all. I'll do it at night and start turing the 2 screws a bit and watch the wall the yare aimed at.

Thanks again.

Bob

Old 12-09-06, 05:56 PM
W
I was once told that a mixture of toothpaste and baking soda works as a "polishing compound" for said fixtures.........haven't had the need to try it yet though

Old 12-09-06, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
That mix will probably work much like a polishing or rubbing compound. I recently tried a product I hadn't seen before that I bought at Wal-Mart. Consists of a carrier to chuck into a drill and special polishing disks (I think it came with 6 of them) impregnated with a (they claim) high-quality polishing agent. You spritz the pad witha little water and go to it. I was somewhat skeptical of the claims, but have to admit it did a super job on my beacon lenses that were starting to show some weathering.

Old 12-10-06, 09:25 AM
M
I use Meguiars Cleaner/Wax and some water spritz. It realy does the job and it's not abrasive.
I put the cleaner/wax on then spritz it with water then use a polishing wheel on a 3/8's drill.

I use the Meguiars Cleaner/Wax because it's all I had in my cabinet.
You can probably use any non-abrasive cleaner/wax.

Old 12-17-06, 03:33 PM
B
Hi:

Thanks. Sounds like I will have some success with this. Appreciate the help.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: