'99 Prizm blower motor, motor resistor, switch, or relay problem?

Old 12-10-06, 07:50 AM
'99 Prizm blower motor, motor resistor, switch, or relay problem?

Following a recent cold spell, I can only blow hot air through my heater or cold air through the AC in the 'high' position on the blower fan (sorry if I'm not using the right terminology here).
Does anyone know what the most likely problem would be, i.e. blower motor resistor, switch, or relay? I think that the fuses are fine. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-06, 08:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would lean more towards your blow motor. Your bushings are probably going out and the rotor is now rubbing the stator.

You can test the switch by trying to Ohm out the dial if you are good with a multimeter.

Old 12-10-06, 09:04 AM
To HotinOKC: Thanks. I don't have a multimeter so can't test the switch.

If it is the blower motor, will replacement of that part take care of the problem? Or should I expect other related parts to go as well?

Old 12-10-06, 10:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you replace the motor, everything should be like new again.

If you can do this yourself, go to a junk yard and see if any are there.

Old 12-10-06, 10:17 AM
Thanks again, Mark! I'll go to a nearby junkyard!

Old 12-10-06, 12:30 PM
sounds like a bad resistor to me but it could be several things but resistor failure is common you will have high but no other speeds.
a blower motor or resistor shouldnt be that expensive wouldnt be going to a salvage yard for one.

Old 12-10-06, 12:48 PM
I was thinkin that myself, Bejay........90% probable resistor.......although the switch IS a possibility. .............HOWEVER........I would Ohm out the motor as lower than acceptable resistance in the motor is why the speed control resistor fails.

Old 12-10-06, 07:29 PM
It does sound like the blower resistor went bad and a bad blower motor could have caused the problem.

Old 12-11-06, 08:17 AM
Thank you for your input. If what Jeff says turns out to be true and the blower resistor went bad due to a bad blower motor, I'd then have to replace both the blower motor as well as the resistor, right? This will sound stupid I'm sure, but are they both separate parts or is one integrated into the other?

Thanks for helping think this through for me.

Old 12-11-06, 01:15 PM
seperate parts but probably really close to each other in location, the blower motor may not be bad but can cause the resistor to fail if its pulling to much current some manufacturers do give specs on them, the ones ive seen used amperage to test the blower motor.
but the resistor can fail for other reasons it can get debris on it, it can corrode both will cause it to fail.

Old 12-11-06, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info bejay!!!

Old 12-13-06, 09:32 AM
'99 Prism

To Mark (hotinKC), bejay, wrench47, & Jeff 67,

Thanks for all your good advice. My buddy found an open circuit in the blower motor resistor, replaced it, and everything works great again. Just wanted to give you an update and thank you again.

Have a nice holiday!!

Mike