93 lumina timing marks 3.1

Old 12-10-06, 12:34 PM
93 lumina timing marks 3.1

does anyone know what the timing marks are for a 93 lumina (earlier model).? and also were should my # 1 piston be located?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-06, 12:43 PM
is this a car or van ? number front to back of engine 1,3, and 5 is on the rear, 2,4 and 6 on the front.
havent noticed any timing marks on distributerless models if it has a distributer and is a van it should have an indicator and mark on the balancer for setting timing.

Old 12-10-06, 12:45 PM
93 Lumina should be distributorless ignition...........What are you trying to time???? What is the car doing???? #1 on those small Chevy V6's are the forward RIGHT side.....opposite of their V8's. On your Lumina, it would be the plug right under the alternator

Old 12-10-06, 01:00 PM
sorry its a car and yes it is a D.I.S system the car starts but runs extremely rough backfires and such hooked it up to a scanner but no codes so im guesing it jumped time

Last edited by anonymous; 12-10-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 01:23 PM
I doubt it has jumped time if its back firing through the intake would remove all the plugs and check them along with the wires, might even check the coils also.

Old 12-10-06, 01:25 PM
Although anything is possible, I've never had one jump time (timing chain wise)........First i'd be going through the basics. Plugs,Wires.........and note the condition of the ign coils .............a corroded terminal, or signs of electrical leakage ("Ghosting") .....Also I'd treat the Throttle Body to a can of 3M throttle body cleaner and see where I stood after that

Old 12-10-06, 01:27 PM
all 3 coils were replaced just 2 months ago has new wires and plugs about 4 months ago my marks seem to right (I think).... all the wires to the plugs are connected it started with a small miss then after about a week I got this mess could it be a fuel filter? also tried the cleaner and no luck
when it first started it would pause under acceleration a few times then clear out but now its really bad

Old 12-10-06, 01:45 PM
would still pull the plugs and keep track of which cylinder they came from if its missing you will probably be able to tell something by just looking at the plugs a cylinder that isnt firing will often be wet with gas or have a glaze to it if its partially firing it may be fouled if the engine has alot of miles could even be oil fouled should probably do a compression test while your have the plugs out just to make sure the engine is ok before testing anything else.
even though plugs, wires, and coils are not that old they should still be checked once you know if the compression is ok.

Old 12-10-06, 01:49 PM
OK............back a little further into basics.........If you have a test light......As the car is idling, hook the test light to ground and CAREFULLY probe the boots of the wires at the coil. Don't puncture them, just slide the lights probe up the boot where the wire goes in and not any RPM changes. Once you've found your "dead hole" remove the plug and the 2 adjoining it and do a compression test........A big variance indicates valve/ring problems.....If ALL cyls read low, then you may be right about the timing chain........or you have a stuffed Catalytic Convertor..........Either way, it'll give you an excuse to re-examine the plugs for gap, cracked ceramic and any wire issues that may have developed

Old 12-10-06, 02:08 PM
Thanks you guys... will do

Old 12-11-06, 08:50 PM
well I did all the above and now its running better but still lunging under acceleration.... but it doesnt do it constantly just alot...im wondering if its a fuel filter it is about a year old..?

Old 12-12-06, 07:32 AM
My grand am did the same thing, changed everything, it was the timing then after fixing that the cam went