blowing ignition coils

Old 12-10-06, 04:47 PM
blowing ignition coils

I have a 1985 GMC halfton 2 wheel drive with a 305 4 barrel. Problem is it starting running real rough one day then died 15 minutes later. Turned out the ignition coil built into the dist cap went.Put a new coil in and it ran good for about 1/2 hour and went again same way running rough then dieing.When inspected coil, red wire was burnt. Put new one in again and it died but started up couple hours later but runs rough. Inspected coil yellow wire looked like he might have started burning. Now when I start it it runs very rough. What would cause a coil to heat up and die ? Anyone have this happen to them or know the remedy ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-06, 05:10 PM
OK now!!!!........Question????..........Did you reinstall the ground strap under the ignition coil?????.........If not that would be problem #1.........I'd replace the ignition module on that unit....That's what drives the coil and if the first one lost resistance, it probably damaged the module........

Old 12-10-06, 05:14 PM
yes. I reinstalled the ground strap. never replaced the module though. But will try that. Also wondering if pickup coil would cause any problems like this ?

Old 12-10-06, 05:26 PM
On the old CCC systems, the pick-up coil only got the engine started.......Once it cleared 400 RPM the ECM took over and the pick-up went to sleep.........Only if the ECM took a digger and put the vehicle into "limp home" mode would the pick-up be a factor...........but if it were bad, the vehicle wouldn't start