aftermarket heated seats

Old 12-11-06, 01:35 PM
aftermarket heated seats

I was thinking about getting some aftermarket heated seats for my Corvette Z06, and was wondering if anyone has some experience with these. Are there differences in brands - and which ones are best? What features should I look for? What is the difficulty level in installing these myself? I have never really worked on my car, but I like to do some basic stuff on my Harley - change the fluids, install a different exhaust, reduced effort clutch, new grips, etc. I am a female (not that it should matter) and enjoy tinkering with my "toys". Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-06, 02:02 PM
I have never installed an aftermarket heated seats but I have work on lots of them factory installed.

I'd first look into the kit and see what come with and what not, I donot know for sure that you would need different seat covers for heated pads or not, I'd rather have both seat back and seat bottom pads instead of just seat bottom pad, those heated seats are using higher current than most of stuffs on your car, controller/timer may needed as relays and fuses.

Again, I'd first look into what comes in the kit and go from there. Have fun tinkering and wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-11-06, 02:23 PM
Following is the description for the ones that I have been looking at. They are OEM licensed and designed for the specific make and model selected.

"This three temperature or HI-MED-LO & Off seat heater kit has a digital controller for more controlled and consistent heating with an illuminated momentary switch. This system also includes an automatic shut-off function after one hour of continuous operation and diagnostic feedback capabilities. The Premium Kit hardware pack makes your job easier and faster with an Add-a-Circuit mini-fuse adaptor and controller mount.

These Seat Heater elements are paper-thin, and install between the seat cover material and the seat cushion. They are fully water-resistant (not waterproof) and pose NO problem with damp winter cloths, spilled beverages, or wet pets! They are NOT visible and do not detract from the finish or look of your vehicle's factory upholstery.

A small three-position switch (off, low, medium, high) is installed in the lower seat trim panel for a "factory" type appearance. All wiring and the heat element controller are concealed below the seat or run under the door sill trim plate, carpeting, etc. It is fully compatible with existing power seats or multi-adjustable "sport" type seats finished in cloth, vinyl, or leather.

You will need a power source that turns on/off with the ignition switch, if your car seats are electric you already have a power source (check if it works with ignition switch, otherwise you will have to run a wire to the fuse box) under your seat for these seat heaters and it comes with a 24" (600mm) Power Lead to splice into the Seat Harness.

Even though this kit is licensed by GM, the OEM version is different and this kit will not plug and play with OEM versions. GM Licensed for 2005 & older models.

GM & Mopar Licensed Car Seat Heater Kit - Model Specific The advantages of This Seat Heater;
# Power requirements vary by kit and range between 51W (3.7A @ 13.8V) & 84W (6.1A @ 13.8V).
# Temperature: High - 113 to 119 degree F
# Temperature: Medium - 110-116 degree F
# Temperature: Low - 97 to 103 degree F
# Heating Element: .25" thick Polyester Foam w/Nylon Scrim
# Adhesive Backing: 3.0 US Mils Thick Acrylic with 4.3 Mil Kraft Liner
# Wiring harness made from 18 AWG wire
# Connectors are indexed to prevent improper mating
# Heats in Seconds
# Round High-Med-Low & Off Temperature Control
# Three Temperature Settings
# LED Brightness changes according to temperature setting
# Digital Electronic Controller
# One-Hour Safety Shut-Off
# Back & Bottom Cushion Heating elements are included
# Comes with 5 foot switch harness, Optional additional 3 Foot extension available for mounting in Door.
# Manufacturer's Warranty: 3 years or 36000 miles
# Made in the USA
# GM Licensed for 2005 & Older vehicles.
# Price is for 1 seat only (order 2 kits for 2 seats)

Complete kit includes a bottom cushion element & back element, 24" power harness, controller, installation CD, 5' switch harness, switch and hardware pack for 1 seat."

Sounds like the complete package, but a little more expensive than other brands. Definitely want the seat and back heated and at least a hi/low instead of simple on/off. I appreciate any comments, suggestions.

Old 12-11-06, 03:03 PM
Not to be flip, but just having a Z06 would keep me quite warm. The part that says "licensed by GM" suggests that it is a bolt in, plug in unit, and you description of the kit sounds all inclusive.

Old 12-12-06, 02:39 AM
That's look like plug and play kit. Everything you need is in the kit, it's up to you if you wanna tinkering with it.

The seat/seats has to come off and seat covers has to be remove prior to install the heated pads, look into what holds the covers to seat frame, some use velcro and most use "hog-rings" which require a special pair of pliers, some trim tools also needed. Run those heated wires exactly where they wanted it to avoid making contact when the seat/seats is moving.

Have a picture/lay-out in your mind first and plan them out, ie.... where the switch would be and where the controller/timer/relays are gonna be, do I have enough room at that location, where's my wiring harness run from and to...... such and such. Once you get them all figure out, have fun and take time doing it.

Old 12-12-06, 08:34 AM
Sounds easy enough, but it always does until you're right in the middle of the project. Good suggestion about the tools required. Can't tell you how many times I've started something only to find out it would have been a whole lot easier if I had a different tool or have even had to quit in the middle to run to the auto supply store to get a special tool (snap ring pliers comes to mind).

Right on about the Z06 (mine is 2002 model). This is no garage ornament - it is my daily driver and Illinois winters can be cold. Besides, installing heated seats sounds like fun. They even make a waterproof version for motorcycles. Maybe the Harley will get a heated seat too.