Looking for 4X4, maybe good milage too?

Old 12-11-06, 08:16 PM
Looking for 4X4, maybe good milage too?

Just wondering if anyone has suggestion for a 4X4, suv or pick-up, that might get decent milage, say 20mpg or more? Is there such an animal? (without being too compact)
Thanks, RS

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-06, 09:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most trucks these days, besides Hemi's will get over 20mpg. The new Toyota's are nice and they get 22+ city. It all depends on how much you want to spend. I had a 03 Chevy Silverado 1500 V8 that got 25mpg highway and about 20 city.

Old 12-12-06, 03:54 AM
My 05 Hemi gets 19-20 on highway and 14-15 in local and down to 12/HW 10/Local when I hooked my 6500lbs rig on it.

If you only need 4x4 just for winter driving and not tow/haul any thing heavy, a small suv from Toyota like Raf4 or Highlander may be best, and the Tacoma 4 door if you need to tow/hauling something small, there are lots of suv 4x4 that fix your need out there, it's all comes down to personal of choice, go out there and test drive them all and pick one you like best, after all, cheaper price uasually are lack of quality compare to others.

Old 12-13-06, 10:40 AM
I've got to say I really enjoy my 4runner. The mileage is close to 20 mpg. If you are looking for more of a car like ride test a Highlander. My aunt has a Rav4 but I think they are too small. You can't go wrong buying a 4runner or Highlander as a mid size SUV.

Old 12-13-06, 05:38 PM
We got the 06 Rav4 about 10 months ago. It gets around 28 or so open road = 2.4L. The V6 is advertised with the same mileage. This Rav4 is a lot bigger than the 05 and before. We really like it.

We have a friend who has the Saturn Vu with the 3.5L. They get around 30+ open road.

Bob

Old 12-13-06, 07:56 PM
If you don't need a "truck" for clearance but need the traction of a 4x4, try a Subaru. Yeah it's a wagon, but these suckers are the best in snow and I can haul around a whole bunch of stuff in the back of my Outback, including a 3'0 door if I don't have a passenger. Attach a hitch and you can pull a trailer. I get about 28mpg hwy and 25 otherwise (twisty turny rural roads) in my 02 Outback, even better in our 97 Impreza (not as big). Practically the state car in Colorado... and we do alot of fast driving on snowy twisty roads with a bunch of sporting equipment in the back. :-D

Old 12-13-06, 08:14 PM
Thanks all for the input,

Like the idea of room and comfort, was thinkin of gettin in the mud and snow with 4X4 & light hauling, boards on occasion, maybe a deer every now an then,, grin will have to look at the more recent rav4's and outbacks!
Thank you!

Old 12-14-06, 07:27 AM
Hey if you get an outback and put a deer on the hood PLEASE post a photo. I'd love to see it!

The only problem with Subys is they don't have quite as much ground clearance as trucks, but enough to say plow through 16 inches of snow. For real 4x4ing we take the hubby's Toyota pickup, but my suby can make it up places that standard car's don't dare (unpaved mountain roads, trailheads, etc.)

Old 12-18-06, 12:33 AM
2000 K2500 6.0 L Suburban ( 4x4) 14 mpg. avg.

Originally Posted by rshack View Post
Just wondering if anyone has suggestion for a 4X4, suv or pick-up, that might get decent milage, say 20mpg or more? Is there such an animal? (without being too compact)
Thanks, RS
you want to have the cake and eat it too ? sorry there 's not such a thing as free lunch, either get a compact 4x4 for good mpg or shell out for a roomy and comfortable suv but forget about fuel economy.