Impala Whining Noise

Old 12-12-06, 11:18 AM
Impala Whining Noise

2004 Chevy Impala SS 39,000 miles.

Hi All,

Over the last month I have a noticed a "whining" noise in my car. It is loudest when I am making slow turns. I also notice it when I'm accelerating.

I think it may be the power steering pump. Does this sound right? If I am right, is this a possible DIY job? (I'm no longer under warranty)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-06, 12:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the noise happen when you are parked and turning the wheel? If it does, then yes, it's most likely your power steering. It is a DIY job, but it does take some time. Most of the time, it requires you to drop the fron crossmember. Not to hard, but need 2 people to make it easier.

If it does not make this noise when idle and cranking the wheel, it's probably not that. Have you inspected your belts?

Old 12-12-06, 01:20 PM
The noise only occurs when the car is in motion. The turning is when its loudest. The fact that the noise occurs when accelerating scares me too. I also noticed later that it takes forever for the fan to kick in when I turn the heat on, sometimes a full 2 minutes.

Are these more indicative of a belt issue? I'm trying not to spend my Christmas bonus on a steering pump.

Old 12-12-06, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does not sound like a power steering issue. If it were, it would make that noise when it is idling and turnings. Can you describe the sound more? Can you go to Autozone and see if there are any codes?

Is it a belt squeeling sound?

Have you checked your transmission fluid?