Suspension question

Old 12-13-06, 04:04 PM
Suspension question

Hi

I have a 97 Honda Accord Coupe 4 cyl engine with 150K. It failed inspection in NJ because they said that the left front wheel has excessive side to side variation and suggested replacing the damper. I am assuming that the damper in this case is the strut although I am not 100% sure of that. I got under the car quickly just to see if I noticed anything and I saw that the CV boot was ripped and there was grease all over. My question is whether it is possible that this diagnosis is really a bad CV joint or if that is not possible.

Thanks for any help
Sal

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-06, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bad CV. A bad strut will not cause a tire to go side to side. Plus, a bad strut will make klunking noises.

Old 12-13-06, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the quick response Mark. That was the answer I was hoping to hear.

Old 12-13-06, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, while you are getting that CV fixed, might as well replace the hub bearings as well since you will have it all apart down there.

Old 12-13-06, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Probably a good time (unless Christmas has you tapped out) to replace the cv on the other side as well.

Old 12-14-06, 07:39 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Your right about Christmas tow guy. This is no time to be paying for car repairs. Will have to just keep an eye on the other CV for now.

Old 12-15-06, 04:02 AM
a bad cv joint will not cause excessive side to side wheel variation would be looking at your tie rods or wheel bearing and if very bad the car may not even be safe to drive would suggest you have it checked out a little better to find out whats wrong.

Old 12-15-06, 07:42 AM
Well I took the car to the mechanic this morning and he checked out the suspension and said all was good. He replaced the bad CV joint, I went back thru inspection and the car passed.

Thanks to all for the replies!!!!

Old 12-17-06, 04:17 PM
New Jersey safety inspection are lacking and un-safe.
As a former Pennsylvania Certified state emisions and safety mechanic in the 1980's, I can't believe the way cars go through the safety inspection in NJ.

You can be metal to metal with the brake pads and if stops on the skid pad it passes.

I just did a brake job on my wifes car and the pads were just starting to go metal to metal but it just passed the NJ safety inspection a month ago but failed emissions.

Yea, ya know, let the family minivan crash into a bridge support because of bad brakes but at least it wasn't polluting.

In PA we had to pull all 4 wheels to inspect the brakes and look under the hood for anything unsafe like fuel leaks or missing components but not here in NJ.

OK, enough of my rant.

Search this Thread