Transmission problem

Old 12-13-06, 04:21 PM
Transmission problem

I need some help with a 1997 Chevrolet Express Van 1500. The van had been running great all summer long. Late in the fall the van started having trouble accelerating. When I step on the gas peddle you can hear the engine rev up but when I take my foot off the break and accelerate the van doesnít move very fast. The van sounds like it wants to change gears but to do that I had to really go fast which isnít good for the van.

I am thinking that there is a problem with the transmission. I had searched this website for transmission problems and found a couple but I donít know if they address the problem with my van. Am I having with the screens in the transmission being plugged or could it be something else?

I would appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-06, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check your transmission fluid, does it look burnt?

Try getting a tranny flush

Is this a manual or automatic?

If manual, replace your clutch.

Old 12-18-06, 10:58 AM
Answers and questions

The van has an automatic transmission.

Will it help if I change the transmission fluid? What screens/filters do I need to clean/change while doing this?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-18-06, 02:19 PM
Depends how you do the flush. If you take it to a local oil changing place, they will just power flush the system without dropping the trans pan. If you take it to the dealer, they will usually drop the pan and replace the screen if needed.

You could probably do this job yourself if you have time and some sort of mechanical skills.

The trans fluid should be changed every 40-60k miles depending on auto maker.

Old 12-18-06, 05:44 PM
What I'm about to tell you is hard to swallow...........and if I hadn't experienced it myself while in a GMC dealership I wouldn't have believed it either...........Had several trucks..........all felt like tranny problems............Change the fuel filter............

Old 12-19-06, 04:12 AM
I agree with wrench47....do a stall test. In gear, with your foot on the brake (hard) try and steadily rev the engine.....if still noticing a loss of power then it is the engine and not the transmission. make sure you do this test safely...i.e. no one in front of the vehicle, nothing in front of the vehicle you are not willing to destroy, and do not "stall" more than 30 seconds as this generates a tremendous amount of heat in the trans. 30 seconds stall, one minute fast idle in neutral.

Old 12-22-06, 11:40 AM
Stall test

ihewitt, Last night I tried to do the test you suggested. The only problem is that we have about 6" snow on the ground and I don't think it was a good test. I put the van into gear (D) and while holding down the break I started pressing on the gas. The van didn't seem to stall and after a few seconds the rear tires started to spin.

I am still convinced that the problem is with the transmission. The other day I stopped at the parts store and purchased a replacement transmission filter and 8 quarts of fluid. I don't know if I will be able to get the van into the garage this year but I plan on changing the transmission filter and fluid myself.

Old 12-22-06, 12:19 PM
Don't forget that if the torque converter cannot be drained then a regular fluid change will not change out all the fluid. You can perform a flush at home by letting the fluid drain out of the oil cooler lines and refilling at the same time.

I would also agree with the suggestion of a stall test but for it to be meaningful you would also nede to be able to read the rpm and also the line pressure on the transmission. If you can it may be worth picking up the ATSG manual for your transmission if you do not have the factory manual for your vehicle. These manuals will tell you how to interpert the readings.

Have you tried any other gear ranges other than '"D"

Old 12-22-06, 12:34 PM
You can drain and flush your entire tranny to include torque converter at home.

Search this Thread