1990 Pontiac 6000 LE

Old 12-15-06, 05:38 AM
1990 Pontiac 6000 LE

My car just stopped, I was driving along and it started to chug a little, then the dash lit up and it just stopped. Tried to restart, would turn over but wont fire. I came back to the car after getting some help to get it home a few hours later, tried to start, fired right over. Ran for a minute or so, then died again. I am thinking an elcetrical short, but not sure. I plan to check codes, but it has been a few years since I have done this. Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I forgot to give the engine size. Its a 2.5ltr 4 cylinder, the old "iron duke".

Last edited by rjsjt; 12-15-06 at 07:20 AM. Reason: listing engine size
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-06, 06:52 AM
jumper the aldl connector under the driver dash a and b terminals wich is usually the top right 2 terminals and turn the key on and count the check engine light flashes will start with code 12 wich is a self test code will flash each code 3 times then will repeat.
you should check for spark if the car will not start also and might post engine size also for more help.

Old 12-15-06, 08:11 AM
6000 LE problem update

Pulled the codes from the computer, there are none. Checked the spark and it appears that there is none, I am thinking possible coil or cap/rotor. Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-15-06, 02:43 PM
if you dont see any fuel spraying from the injector when cranked over would probably expect a crank sensor or ignition module problem, dont believe it has a cap and rotor believe it should be distributerless ignition by 1990 it should have two coil packs setting on the ignition module and metal backing plate and on the back side of the plate the crank sensor bolts on and extends into the block unfortuanatly not very easy to remove, usually recomend changing both the crank sensor and the ignition module on the 2.5 as they are all bolted together and take long enough to change that it isnt worth trying just one or the other unless you have lots of time.

Old 12-15-06, 02:50 PM
please let us know if you got this one fixed...i have the exact same car and last night we had a similar problem...

was driving along and the same light came on...the one with the picture of the car on it...

i am also looking for another car like this for parts