87 4Runner Clutch keeps failing

Old 12-16-06, 05:19 AM
87 4Runner Clutch keeps failing

87 4Runner 22RE (No Turbo) 5Speed 4 WD

The clutch failed more than a month ago and I put in the shop and had replaced along with new clutch slave & master cylinder. Didn't more than make the 20 mile trip home and no clutch pedal. This has happened at least a dozen times and over several trips to the shop they have replaced the new slave & master cylinder and also new clutch parts and part of the hydraulic line around the slave cylinder that had a small leak but still the clutch will not STAY primed. It will prime okay each time and work fine but after it sets a while then no clutch. This is a quality garage of long standing and trying politely and hard to find the problem but still scratching their head.
Any ideas

Note: the part of the haudrylic line that was replaced went from the slave cylinder to a junction of hard and soft line and not the entire line all the way to the master cylinder and was something my son picked up from a salvage yard. I'm thinking may be a good idea to get a new complete line from Toyota and just replace the whole line.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-06, 07:03 AM
might be a good idea to replace the line but to further understand what you are saying it is not leaking but you have to bleed the system to get it working again?

Old 12-16-06, 11:31 AM
bejay, that seems to be the gist of it. The part of the hydraulic line that did have a leak has already been replaced and if it is leaking somewhere else in the line the mechanics cannot find it nor can I.

It would seem to me that it would have to be a leak in the hydraulics for this to happen and I would think that would probably be the slave or master cylinder or the line between them. The slave & master cylinder were both replace when the clutch was done a month or so ago and again a couple weeks ago. So then I was thinking the next logical thing is to replace the entire hydraulic line and I'm thinking of a new one as opposed to one from the salvage yard.

Last edited by scrollmaster; 12-16-06 at 11:43 AM.

Search this Thread